Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Program Change for Elektron Boxes
Hello
Been a while since visiting this forum. Have been enjoying Elektron’s recent Firmware updates …

And on that note; Simple question - Has the MRCC firmware addressed the issue of ‘Program Change’ that will endeavour a greater potential in conjunction with the Elektron ‘Song Mode’ … ???

Btw. I’m still on the default MRCC firmware when I received the unit a few months ago now. 

Thanks
So far program changes on the MRCC have a couple of hiccups (there may be a bug that needs fixing, but it's easy to work around), however they are handled as follows:
The MRCC is supposed to listen on one channel of one port for PC messages targeting the MRCC, that port was initially Port 1 Ch 16. This seemed problematic in the sense that not everyone was expecting to use that functionality and the way it works it blocks those signals from being routed through to downstream devices from that channel of that port. So I asked Steve to disable these by default which he did, now if you want to use that function you need to enable it in the menu, and select a port and channel. Well it seems like while there is no selected port and channel at initialization, the PC messages are still being filtered out until you select a port and channel. It can be worked around by selecting a port and channel that you are not planning to use for PC messages (like Port 6 in Ch 16 for instance). Once that is done you should be able to pass PC messages on any other port and channel combination.

It's not a bad idea to update the FW to the current version if it's not been done for a while too, the instructions and link for that process is here:
https://conductivelabs.com/download/mrcc...re-update/
Thank you Jesse - will update the MRCC firmware this week.

However will the issue reg PC capabilities be addressed in near future whilst this temp workaround in employed?

If not, I’ll be left having reconsider selling off my MRCC unit and look for other alternatives for midi syncing program changes between Elektron boxes and 1010Music boxes for future live gig performance setup.
Sorry, not to be obtuse, are you asking if we plan on fixing the issue I discussed or another one? I am not sure I understand how the issue impacts the Elektron song mode. The main issue I have seen with Elektron boxes has to do with using incoming USB MIDI to control tempo and transport over the MRCC, this is most likely related to how they implement the USB MIDI on the device and isn't something we're likely to be able to address, but over DIN MIDI the box shouldn't have any issues. If there is another issue I'm unaware of (or simply forgot about) let me know, otherwise I think you should be able to pass PC changes without issue using the above mentioned solution.
I'm sure I can get Steve to solve the issue at some point, hopefully before too long.
Jesse Johannesen

I only use DIN MIDI not USB MIDI so there should be no issue passing PC through. I use multiple Elektron boxes and Song Mode primarily uses PC messages to sync tempo and pattern changes.