Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The MRCC or MioXL...
This might be a controversial thread because I am not sure on the policy on comparing competitors, but I would rather have upfront information going into a purchase than be let down afterwards.

I am in need of a midi hub but I’m torn between what is possible and my current/future needs.

Potentially I will need 8 inputs (3 usb)

⁃            Computer (Mac OSX)
⁃            MPC Live X
⁃            MidiKeyboard/Synth 1
⁃            Synth  2 - Polybrute (aftertouch, MPE etc)
⁃            Digitakt 
⁃            keystep pro
⁃            Ipad 
⁃            SQ5 Mixer (Mackie control, don’t mind plugging straight into laptop, but it would be wonderful if it could go via hub)

Depending on the capabilities of the midi router, and how easy it is to change channels… I can probably ditch the key step pro as it is limited to 3/4 channels and the sequencing would be possible on the poly brute.
 And the iPad is like a “would be nice to have” feature in order to control midi remotely in the network

Then with outputs, I have drum machines, synth modules and FX racks

10 midi outputs (3 or 4 have usb too)
2 usb only (op-1 and Elektron heat)
7 remote/sync only FX rack units/guitar pedals

Plus we also have the devices connected to the inputs, which from the looks of it can all be hooked up via USB, but if not, could potentially take my outputs from 19 to 24

I don’t see me needing any more than this as everything else would be in 1 in 1 out in terms of future buys and I have come down to the MRCC and the MioXL

I want to be able to master my setup from any of the input devices for dawless or daw driven control with little or no latency
 I like to record midi and audio on my DAW (I have a Mac OS) simultaneously 
I would also like to be cheeky and do some sequencing using controllers such as the Digitakt and key step pro which have their own routing capabilities

Also, are there any features I may not be explicitly aware about that I could benefit from? at most my experience is with a midi thru box 
It sounds like you should be good with the MRCC but I am not sure about your more complicated scenarios -- I recommend you to read the manual to see where the MRCC might take you. What strikes me with the MRCC, compared to the MioXL, is the sheer amount of features in the unit -- it is not just a MIDI switch but a tool chest too, and that makes the comparison somewhat like apples and oranges. Big Grin
So I am seeing a few issues with some of these use cases. Many work but there are some definite potential red flags: First off, the OP1 is reported as not being compatible with the USB host ports, along with all the Electron boxes we've tested. No one has tried the Heat as far as I know, but I would guess it's probably the same scenario. I think the MPC live works with the PC port but not the host port, but I will look at the Compatibility Tracker and report back, the DIN ins and outs work perfectly fine though. Ipad is only compatible via the camera adaptor to the PC port, or via a audio interface/MIDI interface with DIN outs. Mackie is untested. I don't remember if Polybrute is USB host tested yet or not, but the MPE / poly aftertouch should be fine over DIN either way. Keystep Pro should be fine over USB as long as it's powered externally to the USB port (Wall power).

Here is a link to the MRCC host port compatibility tracker:
https://conductivelabs.com/mrcc-usb-host...y-tracker/
thank you both, appreciate the responses

I went for the MRCC, I figured the hands on control was too good to pass up

I haven't rewired my set up yet to completely test everything, but the basic midi in and out via DINs is a nice change from my midi thru box

I'm waiting for a new desk before I pull the plug in testing my whole set up where I will test the CME bluetooth midi devices and Elektron gear

To be honest, with things like the OP-1 and Elektron heat, you can connect them directly via the computer, so it is not the end of the world