Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Inconsistent Encoder behavior still an issue
Hello all,

Just received my new NDLR on July 3rd. I just want to report that the inconsistent Encoder value-per-click issue reported in several earlier posts is still happening. 

Problem description: rotating an encoder should produce a change in value per click. Actual behavior is inconsistent, requiring one, two or three clicks before the value changes. This depending on encoder and parameter. The issue is present on all encoders. The behavior is always the same for a given parameter. Example, in my unit:
Motif 1 - Pattern variation selection: 
- from forward to backward: three clicks
- from backward to ping-pong: two clicks
- from ping-pong to ping-pong 2: three clicks
- from ping-pong 2 to odd/even: 2 clicks
- from odd/even to random: 3 clicks
Additional observation, after going from one setting to the next and then you toggle the encoder back and then forth between the two settings, the encoder responds correctly with one click. Example, from initial forward to backward you need three clicks, but then you can toggle from forward to backward and vice versa with one click.

Running FW 1.1.066

Other than this nagging issue, so far having a lot of fun with this little unit! Smile  

Cheers

J
Hi Jose. Jesse here with Conductive Labs support team here, I can tell you what's going on with that. The first version of the NDLR had free-spinning encoders, without detents, and as some of the parameters only have a few possible settings it it was difficult to dial in these settings using the knobs with any degree of accuracy, as in it was common to try to get the second menu item and overshoot to the third, or bump a knob and have it go off the desired setting, for instance. The solution was to lower the resolution of the encoders so that you had to turn them further to change these settings. Later we elected to replace the encoders with detented encoders which stopped many of these issues for new customers, but since not all the NDLRs have them it's a necessary evil that now some menus take more than one click to get around.

We acknowledge that it's a little annoying and we're sorry. Next time I talk to Steve I'll run it by him again and see if there's anything to be done.

Thanks so much,
Jesse Johannesen
Hi Jesse - Thank you for the quick reply and explanation! It is not a critical issue but it would be great if it could be addressed on a future fix. Thank you!

Cheers

J
Howdy, I just got my NDLR, and I have the exact same thoughts. I love this piece of gear, but the encoders are a bit annoying. I thought maybe I got a faulty unit.
(07-25-2020, 05:27 PM)vadimred13 Wrote: Howdy, I just got my NDLR, and I have the exact same thoughts. I love this piece of gear, but the encoders are a bit annoying. I thought maybe I got a faulty unit.
We did a small update in version 1.1.070 which addresses among other things a bug that made it hard to select some values in the midi controller and mod matrix menus with the detented encoders. As long as you are using FW 1.1.066 or newer the update is pretty straight forward, and more info can be found at the links below. Not a complete solution, but definite progress!

Update instructions here: https://conductivelabs.com/download/

newest FW here: https://conductivelabs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=235

Jesse
Hi Jesse , quick question ...do you use interrupts to read the encoders?
(08-11-2020, 08:22 AM)gibrancurtiss Wrote: Hi Jesse , quick question ...do you use interrupts to read the encoders?
I believe so, but it's been a while since Steve and I discussed it.
That was my hunch as well when I asked about this months ago. It seems like the issue is not mechanical but caused by the way / interval in which the pots are scanned. I believe this because the push buttons are exhibiting similar behavior. If you press them quickly there's a big chance the press isn't registered by the software.
For the first week or so after getting my NDLR, I thought CC105 had actually been omitted from the specs of the unit, a bit annoying since it controls the cut off on a Supernova, I only found it by accident. Still a GREAT gadget though.
(07-05-2020, 06:10 PM)Hi Jesse.Im thknking in buy a 2nd hand one that was on kickstarter campaingn.does they have the same issue?is there a serial num that i can see dont have that problem?thxJesse Johannesen Wrote: Hi Jose. Jesse here with Conductive Labs support team here, I can tell you what's going on with that. The first version of the NDLR had free-spinning encoders, without detents, and as some of the parameters only have a few possible settings it it was difficult to dial in these settings using the knobs with any degree of accuracy, as in it was common to try to get the second menu item and overshoot to the third, or bump a knob and have it go off the desired setting, for instance. The solution was to lower the resolution of the encoders so that you had to turn them further to change these settings. Later we elected to replace the encoders with detented encoders which stopped many of these issues for new customers, but since not all the NDLRs have them it's a necessary evil that now some menus take more than one click to get around.

We acknowledge that it's a little annoying and we're sorry. Next time I talk to Steve I'll run it by him again and see if there's anything to be done.

Thanks so much,
Jesse Johannesen