Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drone ticks
Got the NDLR and have some time to play around this morning.  So far, loving the functionality and am quickly getting used to the menu system.

One thing I noticed - I am using an HX3 organ module for the drone and I'm hearing a slight 'tick' on the 1.  Hooked up a MIDI monitor and noticed that I'm seeing note off/on messages at the start of every bar and that's causing the brief ticking sound.

Is it possible to configure the Drone section to really be a drone - i.e. - note on until I press Stop or change note values?
could you use pad instead of drone ? I noticed the same thing and use drone as kind of metronome, or increase attack and release to eliminate the note start
It also could be user error. I saw in the manual that you can adjust when the note(s) retrigger, but I seem to remember that when I rotated the knob CCW and had no blocks highlighted then I didn't hear the drone at all. Again - could be user error, but as soon as I'm home w. the NDLR and have some time to do a careful test, I don't know what happened.

You are right though - the pad does not retrigger.
Hi, you can set the drone to a constant trigger once mode. Its the setting with the "play" symbol and 4 empty boxes, which is the first setting for Drone Trigger.

To get rid of clicks, sometimes you need to slow the attack a bit on the amp envelope, if your HX3 supports that.
(12-19-2018, 03:18 PM)Darryl Wrote: Hi, you can set the drone to a constant trigger once mode. Its the setting with the "play" symbol and 4 empty boxes, which is the first setting for Drone Trigger.

To get rid of clicks, sometimes you need to slow the attack a bit on the amp envelope, if your HX3 supports that.

I'll try the 'play/empty boxes' setting when I get some time with my gear (lots of work/Christmas/family stuff going on right now).

It's a Hammond organ box - it's supposed to click.   Smile

just not retrigger when the bar loops.  Again - likely user error based on reading the manual at lunch time.
Follow up to (hopefully) close the loop.
Summary - working as designed, would like a tweak to the design.

If the drone display is in 'three dot mode', a single filled box retriggers the drone note, but it also allows you to manually change octaves, drone+5th, etc from the menus and you hear the change.  In 3 dot mode no filled boxes silences the drone.  All as designed.

In 'play arrow' mode, a single filled box retriggers the drone on the bar and allows you to manually change octaves, etc and hear it.  With no boxes filled, the drone just .. drones.  No retrigger, all good.  

However, you can't make any changes to the drone in that mode.  *it would be nice* if in that mode (play arrow, no boxes filled) that manual changes to the octave/note info got retriggered on the bar.
Thanks for your feedback. Just wanted to chime in here.
The triangle or “play symbol” indicates that the drone gets triggered only when the drone play button gets pressed. It also means that the note being played will always be the root of the Key and not change regardless of the cord being played. The adjacent boxes indicate if the drone gets re-triggered on the downbeat represented by the boxes. Box 1 is the downbeat of 1, box 2 is the downbeat of 2 etc.

The circles are supposed to be the visual representation of the cord buttons. The drone gets triggered when any cord button is pressed and the note that it plays is the root of that cord. The adjacent boxes indicate the retrigger, same as above.

In some cases there are three boxes or five boxes, this allows a re-triggering in 3 beat or 5 beat time. I specifically tried to leave time signatures out of The NDLR, but it wasn’t possible in this case :-)

Thanks for the great questions,
Steve
(12-19-2018, 03:07 AM)oldgearguy Wrote: Got the NDLR and have some time to play around this morning.  So far, loving the functionality and am quickly getting used to the menu system.

One thing I noticed - I am using an HX3 organ module for the drone and I'm hearing a slight 'tick' on the 1.  Hooked up a MIDI monitor and noticed that I'm seeing note off/on messages at the start of every bar and that's causing the brief ticking sound.

Is it possible to configure the Drone section to really be a drone - i.e. - note on until I press Stop or change note values?
 The off/on message is as designed. It’s supposed to be shutting off the last note and turning on a new one every time a new bar happens assuming you have only the first square of four selected.

I added some more comments below about the usage of the drone. Hope it helps :-)
Thanks,
Steve
(12-22-2018, 05:45 AM)oldgearguy Wrote: Follow up to (hopefully) close the loop.
Summary - working as designed, would like a tweak to the design.

If the drone display is in 'three dot mode', a single filled box retriggers the drone note, but it also allows you to manually change octaves, drone+5th, etc from the menus and you hear the change.  In 3 dot mode no filled boxes silences the drone.  All as designed.

In 'play arrow' mode, a single filled box retriggers the drone on the bar and allows you to manually change octaves, etc and hear it.  With no boxes filled, the drone just .. drones.  No retrigger, all good.  

However, you can't make any changes to the drone in that mode.  *it would be nice* if in that mode (play arrow, no boxes filled) that manual changes to the octave/note info got retriggered on the bar.
Ah, I see what you mean. Sounds like a good feature request, we'll add it to the (quickly growing) list. We could potentially treat it like the PAD, where the notes get turned on or off as the Position or Spread parameters are changed.