Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MRCC Pre-purchase Questions

1. Does the mrcc have the ability to remap poly aftertouch to channel pressure and vice versa? trying to fix an issue with a synth reading only one or the other from various midi controllers.
  2. Will it pass through, besides sending the MIDI data, is also transmitting - CDC (serial) and Raw HID. Related to use with Polyend Play see link: https://help.polyend.com/431975-My-iConnectivity-MIDI-USB-hub-is-not-recognising-my-Polyend-instrument-why
  3. When interfacing with the computer, am I able to name the inputs and outputs on the MRCC device and the names will show up in audio/midi setup on Mac, therefore being passed onto DAW's? 
  4. Am I able to setup an RTP Midi network? Not so important but coming from MioXL where I have one device working through RTP currently
  5. Does the device allow for connection to iOS/iPad midi devices? I plan to add an iPad on next update, not as familiar with how these will interface
  6. On virtual inputs on host USB ports, does that mean we can plug a USB hub for access to the 4 inputs? Read FAQ and it says not really, I'm trying to understand how the 4 virtual inputs per host port work, maybe get an example use case?
  7. Can the MRCC receive midi clock from a connected device then translate or sync its internal clock to send the same clock out of its cv clock output?
  8. If I need to expand with a second unit, would I configure advanced functions from one screen or from both separately?
  9. Will the virtual midi ports seen by a Mac audio/midi setup be available to route software and be viewed as additional input/outputs on the device for various saved routings? Example currently is I have to use midi input/output in settings on Komplete kontrol keyboard software to translate incoming MPE from a roli seaboard to get it to send the Roli to other external synths, currently routed through a MidXL, the Komplete kontrol is receiving from itself, the roli and a polyend play to route to other devices without opening a DAW.
    I know its a lot of questions, if anyone can answer one or two, I appreciate everyone's time.  Probably ordering one anyway to test but would be nice to know these in advance.
  10. Can I use a basic trs mini cable to transmit trs midi from one device to trs midi on the MRCC? Any special cable requirements for type a vs b? Use case is a launchpad type controller with trs output going direct to trs input without those trs to midi converter cables.
10. Yes - standard mini TRS to TRS cables work with either A or B **as long as** you are connecting the same type protocol (A to A, B to B)
8. Advanced functions as in filtering? If so, you need to set those up on each device. Simple routing? Basically no. If I want input 3 on MRCC A to go to output 7 on MRCC B, I can set that up on MRCC A (Using the 'Y' button as documented in the manual).
7. As of the most current OS (1.1.052) the MRCC needs to be the master clock.
(06-16-2022, 06:15 AM)ekkomouse Wrote:
  1. Does the mrcc have the ability to remap poly aftertouch to channel pressure and vice versa? trying to fix an issue with a synth reading only one or the other from various midi controllers.
    The MRCC supports poly aftertouch, but there is no data modification geared around that functionality.

2. Will it pass through, besides sending the MIDI data, is also transmitting - CDC (serial) and Raw HID. Related to use with Polyend Play see link: https://help.polyend.com/431975-My-iConnectivity-MIDI-USB-hub-is-not-recognising-my-Polyend-instrument-why
    No, the USB host ports are simply MIDI ports only. There are a number of devices which require other connectivity on these ports and they tend not to work with MRCC. Things like being able to be a mass storage device as well as a synth or Elektron boxes which are also audio devices, for example, all tend not to work. In those cases we offer the suggestion that the DIN ports should still be a go.

3. When interfacing with the computer, am I able to name the inputs and outputs on the MRCC device and the names will show up in audio/midi setup on Mac, therefore being passed onto DAW's? 
    No.

4. Am I able to setup an RTP Midi network? Not so important but coming from MioXL where I have one device working through RTP currently
    No.

5. Does the device allow for connection to iOS/iPad midi devices? I plan to add an iPad on next update, not as familiar with how these will interface
    Yes, with the camera USB adaptor via the PC port it should be possible. Not via the USB host ports however.

6. On virtual inputs on host USB ports, does that mean we can plug a USB hub for access to the 4 inputs? Read FAQ and it says not really, I'm trying to understand how the 4 virtual inputs per host port work, maybe get an example use case?
    Hubs are not supported, however there have been reports of successes by other users.

7. Can the MRCC receive midi clock from a connected device then translate or sync its internal clock to send the same clock out of its cv clock output?
    Currently MIDI clock may be passed to devices, but the internal MIDI clock is independent of external input. The analog clock out is only able to be a target of the internal clock. No manipulation of clock signals is supported.

8. If I need to expand with a second unit, would I configure advanced functions from one screen or from both separately?
    All Configuration is done on the screen of the sending device.

9. Will the virtual midi ports seen by a Mac audio/midi setup be available to route software and be viewed as additional input/outputs on the device for various saved routings? Example currently is I have to use midi input/output in settings on Komplete kontrol keyboard software to translate incoming MPE from a roli seaboard to get it to send the Roli to other external synths, currently routed through a MidXL, the Komplete kontrol is receiving from itself, the roli and a polyend play to route to other devices without opening a DAW.
    I don't quite understand the question. The ports show up in the audio/midi setup as individual MIDI ports. You should be able to do whatever you want with them.

I know its a lot of questions, if anyone can answer one or two, I appreciate everyone's time.  Probably ordering one anyway to test but would be nice to know these in advance.
  10. Can I use a basic trs mini cable to transmit trs midi from one device to trs midi on the MRCC? Any special cable requirements for type a vs b? Use case is a launchpad type controller with trs output going direct to trs input without those trs to midi converter cables.

There are A and B ports on the MRCC and one or the other should work with any device using the standard 3.5mm aux cable.

Thanks guys its all very helpful!
I'll take a stab at question 9, although I'm using a PC, not a Mac, but I'm sure the concept is the same.  The 12 sending ports and 12 receiving ports (24 total) effectively act as an additional 12 sources and 12 destinations for the MRCC, to be used by a software program like a DAW or an editor to route externally.  They require the DAW to be running in order to have an active connection to something (perhaps Macs can do this on a system level? I don't know) and are accessed on the MRCC by using existing buttons for this second purpose by first holding the PC port in or out.  Effectively they are 2 sets of 12 pipes, coming and going, that need to be routed on both ends, for software to hardware connections.  You could, actually, use them to route software to software or hardware to hardware in special cases, although that's probably just an inefficient extra middle layer.  I'm not up to speed on the particulars of what exactly you meant in your example, but hopefully this will help a little.

On question 6, there is one current (NDLR) and one pending (expander) device from Conductive Labs that both can send 4 streams over USB and can take advantage of the multiple input feature.  I don't recall if there are other things on the market with this capability that would also be MRCC compatible, but certainly not many.
Thank you Dark Waves. Now I understand the question on number 9 and you've tackled it aptly.