Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB sysex issues
Steve says he's found the issue with the Sysex and last time we talked he was midway through solving it, so your vigilance may soon pay off. I'll post here as soon as he's got it finished.
Jesse
I’m new to MIDI, is this Sysex problem going to be an issue for me if I buy this? I’m primarily using new era hardware and DAW. 
Thanks, Tim
(03-27-2022, 12:16 AM)Timmy Wrote: I’m new to MIDI, is this Sysex problem going to be an issue for me if I buy this? I’m primarily using new era hardware and DAW. 
Thanks, Tim

All your basic MIDI functionality is solid.  Sysex is a special type of message to pass updates or presets to equipment, and there are ways to route that for those devices with compatibility issues until it gets sorted.  Most of what you do with MIDI is not Sysex files, and MRCC passes that just fine currently.  It's actually pretty easy to use.
(03-27-2022, 12:16 AM)Timmy Wrote: I’m new to MIDI, is this Sysex problem going to be an issue for me if I buy this? I’m primarily using new era hardware and DAW. 
Thanks, Tim

It's still a really useful midi gadget without sysex, if they get the sysex sorted it will be excellent.
Steve has just posted the most recent Beta firmware which should now have Sysex passing from all routings with one caveat: The packet limit needs to be set to 512 Bit or less to work in most cases. Steve's been working hard to make this happen, so if any of you has a chance to give this a shot and let me know how it works for you I would appreciate it.

Here's a link:
https://conductivelabs.com/forum/showthr...p?tid=1583
(03-08-2022, 06:03 AM)Stratblue Wrote:
(03-04-2022, 03:23 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: Steve is currently working on a solution for this and is very close to having a beta. Do you want to reach out to me via email (support@conductivelabs.com). I would be happy to send it your way once it's ready to try out.
Jesse

Being a complete sysex know nothing, I'm hoping this will be a 'what goes in is what comes out' solution and any chance of getting rid of the 256k limit on chunks I saw referenced elsewhere? Thanks for getting onto this.

Most MIDI devices have limited SysEx buffer sizes, which is why most programs that send large SysEx files have a setting for the max buffer size. For instance, in MIDI-OX you set the SysEx low level output buffer in the SysEx settings, which looks like this:

Once that output buffer size is set, the application will break up the SysEx messages into chunks no bigger than the buffer size so it will pass through MRCC without a problem. 

The MRCC isn't a Windows PC, it doesn't even have an operating system. SysEx buffers have to be pre-allocated for every input and there's only so much memory free on a microcontroller. We had space to bump it up to 512 byte buffers. 

We also recommend following the manufactures recommendation when they suggest connecting the device directly to the PC for firmware updates, such as Moog does.
Nice one, thanks for your work on this, I'll get into this tomorrow.
So....I've updated to the 52 firmware and can see it in the start up screen however I'm still getting nothing. I'm going from PC out1 to din output 1, where my Octopus sequencer resides, and din output 6 where I have a midi indicator. The file I'm sending is in Sysex librarian and it's sending on Port 1, I've posted the sysex file below. I see a little green arrow in the display during transmission and the midi indicator flashes but the Octopus refuses to acknowledge receipt. Any help would be great.

Attached Files
.zip   DifficultFile.syx.zip (Size: 515 bytes / Downloads: 4)
(04-08-2022, 05:48 AM)Stratblue Wrote: So....I've updated to the 52 firmware and can see it in the start up screen however I'm still getting nothing. I'm going from PC out1 to din output 1, where my Octopus sequencer resides, and din output 6 where I have a midi indicator. The file I'm sending is in Sysex librarian and it's sending on Port 1, I've posted the sysex file below. I see a little green arrow in the display during transmission and the midi indicator flashes but the Octopus refuses to acknowledge receipt. Any help would be great.

Since the sysex file is large, you'll have to configure Sysex Librarian to send smaller (less than 512 byte) buffers of data with a slight pause between transmissions and possibly slow down the overall transmission rate.  Not in front of the Mac at the moment, but if no one has some screen shots/numbers later today, I'll post some suggestions.
I did a quick test with that file and I don't see it going through either. We'll take a look at it and see what's keeping it from sending.