Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
MRCC USB Host update
Is there any chance that devices that currently work on a MioXL via USB will work on the MRCC
i.e I've got a Pioneer TORAIZ Squid. work perfectly under USB on the MioXL, but not recognized by MRCC.
The Moog One is another one.
Yes I can also use DIN but I've got these already purposed for other stuff. 
So I guess my question is can someone look at these and get them fixed?
My assumption (mother of all..) would be that if it works on iConnectivity, it could be made to work on the MRCC as well right?
What's causing those differences?
The short answer is "It's hard to say". Of course we would like to have every device work with the MRCC, but the main idea was to be able to connect a simple MIDI keyboard and route it to all of your devices. it's been a nice benefit that many more complicated devices have also been successfully connected. We may be able to solve some issues if the gear is on hand in the Lab to do some testing, but even then there's no guarantee that the issue is solvable on our end at all. Just because a device says it's MIDI class compliant doesn't guarantee that it is unfortunately. I have a Zoom L-12 Audio Interface/ Mixer/ Recorder that claims to be class compliant, and what to you know, after 2 days of emails with the manufacturer it turns out this audio interface doesn't work with AMD based processors, or whatever. It can be totally frustrating when gear doesn't do what we hope.

Many MIDI issues can be solved, but there are usually 2 ends of the spectrum which control the outcome, money and time. If you have enough time you can solve anything, and for enough money you can basically solve anything, we've been looking for a solution that makes the amount of time needed short while not costing too much money. The solution we've come up with is a 4 in 1 out USB/DIN breakout boxes that would solve many such issues but it's still a little ways down the road.

In the end we have limited control over some aspects of the problem as the MIDI stack we are using (the set of code dedicated to USB interactions) is part of the hardware platform. If we can find what's causing a problem it's possible we can get changes to happen, but they have to happen across the whole of the platform, not just the MRCC, so it's not a trivial task.

Hopefully the 4x1 will provide a sensible solution to the majority of cases where a USB device is not compatible, and DIN ports are already spoken for.
I get your points, but on the MioXL it does work. Today I received my Oxi One, doesn’t work via USB either, again does work on the MioXL. The Oxi has got trs which works perfect. But it just intrigues me that iConnectivity has got this fixed. They only claim class compliant, with the same disclaimer. Only their succesrate is higher.
Don’t get me wrong, the MRCC is great. I ordered a 2nd one! But better “class compliant” support would REALLY be the icing on the cake.
I took delivery of the MRCC yesterday and I must say the inconsistency with regards to which USB devices will function, or are recognised, or not, has wasted me several hours already. I really thought my MRCC was defective...

I thought, for sure, the Sequential Take 5 would be a safe place to start. No. I can connect it, but it doesn't function.

The Majella Implexus is an obscure small company monosynth, but it is seen and functions within my old iPad / AUM USB hub set up. With the MRCC, if the Implexus is connected, the MRCC will not complete its booting up.

The Moog Matriarch and the Modor NF-1 both seem to function as expected.

I'll figure a system out, but time is money...
Thanks for reporting the devices you've tried as well as the results. I've taken note to add them to the compatibility tracker for future reference. In the mean time, as I mentioned in our email, the devices which are not USB compatible should have no trouble when used with a din connection. Can you please try connecting the majella again and take note of what happens with the MRCC during the attempt to boot? If you can take a picture of the state it gets stopped at and send it to me via email at Support@conductivelabs.com, I'm not certain what that situation might be and would love to get to the bottom of it.
(02-09-2022, 09:08 AM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: Thanks for reporting the devices you've tried as well as the results. I've taken note to add them to the compatibility tracker for future reference. In the mean time, as I mentioned in our email, the devices which are not USB compatible should have no trouble when used with a din connection. Can you please try connecting the majella again and take note of what happens with the MRCC during the attempt to boot? If you can take a picture of the state it gets stopped at and send it to me via email at Support@conductivelabs.com, I'm not certain what that situation might be and would love to get to the bottom of it.

I know you know, and I hate to be constantly picking at the same scab, but since the MRCC is an asymmetric patchbay (6 in, 12 out), inputs are at a premium in most people's setups.  Being able to dedicate 4 USB devices alleviates that stress somewhat, so the more better the USB stuff works, the easier it is to set up a config and just leave it.  Of course that also applies to any/all devices that need to use sysex for patch edits, dumping banks/edits to a computer, being controlled by remote hw editors/controllers and so on.
Had some time today to work with the OXI Sequencer and the MRCC.

No love for OXI <--> USB <--> MRCC

Clock never comes in, MIDI notes never go out.
MIDI Monitor shows no activity on the MRCC

The OXI uses USB for power as well as data, but it also has a built-in battery so even if you're using USB, it's not drawing power from the USB connector (except maybe to charge the battery).  The MRCC USB port LED is a nice bright green.
Put me down as another customer with an OXI. TBH, I'm not sure that 'the main idea was to be able to connect a simple MIDI keyboard and route it to all of your devices' is particularly convincing. In many cases the OXI will likely be sending less MIDI than the KeyStep 37 I also have connected that's working fine... and is also being powered by the MRCC.

MIDI devices connecting over USB is nothing new, so it's not like only 'simple' MIDI devices existed before MRCC. If you make a device like the MRCC with USB connections you had better be committed to it and the reply here doesn't particularly sound like it. You have a job listing mentioning a new wavetable based product, but perhaps that needs to wait while you provide support to the customers that have supported you. If you guys can't acquire all these devices talk to the manufacturers and/or perhaps send them an MRCC.

Not sure why this needs to grind to a halt at 'we're small and busy and you guys bought stuff we don't know about'. Making a USB capable device like the MRCC was predictably going to open you up to needing to provide ongoing device support updates. This shouldn't be a surprise that makes it 'hard to say' when you'll get around to it. This should have been part of the planning all along.
On the plus side, Manuel from OXI has been in contact with Steve, so hopefully it can get sorted out soon.
(02-23-2022, 05:33 PM)oldgearguy Wrote: On the plus side,  Manuel from OXI has been in contact with Steve, so hopefully it can get sorted out soon.

Probably not too soon, Manuel has a lot of backlog to fill before we can get something to test with, but we'll look at it as soon as we can get one.