Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Midi channel routing question
Please forgive this noobish post, but I am having trouble accomplishing something that seems super basic.  I’d like to use my Octatrack as a midi Sequencer for a variety of synths connected via midi, all routed through the MRCC.  I’d like to sequence 8 different synths from my Octatrack with each synth corresponding with channels 1-8 on the OT’s midi out, but have the midi messages be received (on those other synths) as though they originated from channel 1 in each instance.  

For example, midi channel 5 on the OT is destined for a Matrix 6, I send a sequence of notes over midi channel 5 to the MRCC (from the OT) and it routes the data to the M6 using midi out port 5 but the M6 thinks it is coming from channel 1 and not 5.  

I have not been able to successfully configure my MRCC to do this despite having the manual open in front of me, googling, and searching the forum.  I am not positive if this is midi channel mapping issue or if I should be filtering messages per port or what?  Thanks so much!  
Oh man, we totally made a special mod just to do this exact thing. Let me read up on it so I explain it properly and I'll walk you through it.
BRB
(01-10-2022, 05:49 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: Oh man, we totally made a special mod just to do this exact thing. Let me read up on it so I explain it properly and I'll walk you through it.
BRB

I truly appreciate your assistance!
(01-10-2022, 08:06 PM)Skaht30h5 Wrote:
(01-10-2022, 05:49 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: Oh man, we totally made a special mod just to do this exact thing. Let me read up on it so I explain it properly and I'll walk you through it.
BRB

I truly appreciate your assistance!
From the manual (pg 34):

Channel to Port Mapping [C-P1] 
Sub Page NOTE: There is no screen for this modifier because there are no setting. 

If this modifier is added to a routing then only the MIDI messages on the channel number that matches the out-port number will be passed. The MIDI messages will be sent out on channel 1. All other MIDI messages are suppressed. 

Example: if you have a routing (i.e. in-port 3 -> out-port 7) and there are inbound MIDI messages on channels 6, 7 & 8, only the MIDI messages on channel 7 will be sent. And they will be sent on channel 1 / out-port 7. No other message will be sent on out-port 7.

Example Continued: if you have an additional routing (i.e. in-port 3 -> out-port 8) with the same inbound MIDI messages on channels 6, 7 & 8, only the MIDI messages on channel 8 will be sent. And they will be sent on channel 1 / out-port 8. No other message will be sent on out-port 8. 

Example Continued: if you have an additional routing (i.e. in-port 3 -> out-port 2) with the same inbound MIDI messages on channels 6, 7 & 8, no MIDI messages will be sent on out-port 2 

Example Continued: if you have an additional routing (i.e. in-port 3 -> out-port 2) with the same inbound MIDI messages on channels 6, 7 & 8, and there is NO “C-P1” modifier loaded on that routing, then all the MIDI messages will be sent on their respective channels on out-port 2. 

This is the modifier is best used when several MIDI channels are received on the same in-port and need to be “split” out to several out-ports. An example could be MIDI messages coming from a multitrack sequencer or something similar.

Note: this modifier was added in a semi recent fw update, so if you don't see it appear when scrolling though your mods, that may mean you'll need a FW update.
Thank you so much! Would the FW update you reference be 1.1.044? Or the last non-beta update?
I want to extend another heartfelt thank you for your answers. I was using probably the oldest version of the manual (still said draft on the pages) and I had not updated the firmware. So, that was working against me and I didn’t have the good sense to investigate updating the fw initially. Using your clear instructions, I was able to get the outcome I had hoped for. Thank you again, sincerely!
Oh thank you! It's an absolute pleasure to help. Let me know if you get stuck anywhere else!
Jesse