Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Routing Causing MRCC to Freeze
The issue has not been pinned down precisely, however a solution was found using another routing and like the good book says: "If you can make it work another way, no more debugging for today!".
Jesse
(10-13-2021, 01:51 AM)oldgearguy Wrote: So did this problem ever get resolved?  It would be good to know the resolution in case other KeyStep37 users run into something similar.

(10-14-2021, 11:13 AM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: The issue has not been pinned down precisely, however a solution was found using another routing and like the good book says: "If you can make it work another way, no more debugging for today!".
Jesse

Yes, well, it's on us to take the time and restart the setup from scratch and pinpoint the problem. As Jesse says, we're rolling with the workaround. But it would be definitely good to know where the problem is, because the solution we have is eating up 2 DIN ports.

We will post back here whenever we get around to starting over and searching step-by-step. Which could be in the coming weeks because we are getting our digital mixer soon and this means redoing the whole setup.
There are a few foundational principles to midi in general
Don’t configure midi ins, if your unit is only a departure. Don’t configure midi outs if your unit is only a destination
Out and thru are not the same thing
You can only have one clock and clocks wandering around through midi out/thru loops will choke the system.
I always design my setups like a cascaded downstream, never circular. If you need circular setups, only do it with destinations that supports local off.
(10-18-2021, 06:22 AM)Raphie Wrote: There are a few foundational principles to midi in general
Don’t configure midi ins, if your unit is only a departure.  Don’t configure midi outs if your unit is only a destination
Out and thru are not the same thing
You can only have one clock and clocks wandering around through midi out/thru loops will choke the system.
I always design my setups like a cascaded downstream, never circular. If you need circular setups, only do it with destinations that supports local off.

Thanks Raphie. What we are trying to achieve with the KeyStep37 functions perfectly well on DIN. It freezes the MRCC when using USB, though. So while I have no doubt your advice is sound, I don't think it is relevant for what we experience. I might be wrong though.
USB is bi-directional, DIN is not. Not a roque connection causing a loop there? (All leds off?)
As it sounds like a flooding problem.
When on USB is the keystep then still connected via DIN as well? maybe feeding other units directly?
Is midi clock set to ext/slave on all devices?
I didn’t meant my previous post to be pedantic, but these setups are complex and it’s easy to overlook something.
I work 37 midi devices between a MioXL, MRCC, Syncgen II, NDLR, Toriaz Squid, Korg SQ-64 and Cubase (Oxi One on the way)
(10-18-2021, 07:07 AM)Raphie Wrote: I didn’t meant my previous post to be pedantic

I wouldn't allow myself to assume so! Smile

I trust your expertise and any advice is welcome. Anyway, I'm away from the gear right now. We'll report back when we've been able to dig further.