Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi...my NDLR x 2 FW 1.073 is crashing alot
My setup has the NDLR received clock from my aw4416 (midi in B) and midi notes/cc from my octatrack mk1(change chord and degree). I am doing this to achieve more specified control over which chord gets triggered for the pads.

Everything runs fine for a few minutes and then the NDLR freezes, so I have to unplug n replug for a reboot.

Am I missing something in regards to being able to use both midi inputs at the same time?
So I switched to using one midi input(midi in B) and it’s still happening as I use the octatrack mk1 to sequence the chord type and degree...which is tragic , because I was super close to being able to use the octatrack as an arranger and use different track to modulate the various cc’s as stated in the manual.

Firmware 1.1.073 for clarification
(03-10-2021, 02:33 PM)Ghostz_of_Moar Wrote: So I switched to using one midi input(midi in B) and it’s still happening as I use the octatrack mk1 to sequence the chord type and degree...which is tragic , because I was super close to being able to use the octatrack as an arranger and use different track to modulate the various cc’s as stated in the manual.

I replied in another thread as well, but is this happening with both NDLRs you have or just one?
Jesse
(03-10-2021, 06:39 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 02:33 PM)Ghostz_of_Moar Wrote: So I switched to using one midi input(midi in B) and it’s still happening as I use the octatrack mk1 to sequence the chord type and degree...which is tragic , because I was super close to being able to use the octatrack as an arranger and use different track to modulate the various cc’s as stated in the manual.

I replied in another thread as well, but is this happening with both NDLRs you have or just one?
Jesse

Hi thank you for getting back to me.

I have two NLDR's one is chained to the other and they both share the same NLDR control and keyboard channel. I set the 1st midi track on the octatrack to send midi to the NDLR cntrl channel. the setting are to white and black keys key 'C' on the midi cntrl. So with the octatrack I am setting midi trigs and parameter locking the base note(default to C4) and then a midi knob set to cc 27(degree)...

im puzzled because it works and then just konks out. so I unplug the unit and try it again...each time trying to send less sequencer information to the NDLR.

as per one or both crashing. The first one crashes, but there has been an instance where I have left the room for a good bit of time and they both crashed/froze.

the reason I want the octatrack's sequencer is the fact it has an arranger/song mode which I intended to use for builds, stabs/vamps, pedal points, turnarounds, etc.

I do love the NDLR, mind you, its just crashing on something that should be fairly straight forward...
(03-10-2021, 07:19 PM)Ghostz_of_Moar Wrote:

Jesse

I have two NLDR's one is chained to the other and they both share the same NLDR control and keyboard channel. I set the 1st midi track on the octatrack to send midi to the NDLR cntrl channel. the setting are to white and black keys key 'C' on the midi cntrl. So with the octatrack I am setting midi trigs and parameter locking the base note(default to C4) and then a midi knob set to cc 27(degree)...

im puzzled because it works and then just konks out. so I unplug the unit and try it again...each time trying to send less sequencer information to the NDLR.

as per one or both crashing. The first one crashes, but there has been an instance where I have left the room for a good bit of time and they both crashed/froze.

the reason I want the octatrack's sequencer is the fact it has an arranger/song mode which I intended to use for builds, stabs/vamps, pedal points, turnarounds, etc.

I do love the NDLR, mind you, its just crashing on something that should be fairly straight forward...
Oh dang, that's awesome. Are you using the NDLRs CLync functionality to chain the devices? That is what that is designed to do (link two units with CCs over midi) but we haven't really fully tested it. It may be that if we can get the first one to stop crapping out, we can use that to get the same results. How is the MIDI sent to both devices since the NDLR doesn't pass MIDI from the CTRL channel? are you using a MIDI Splitter or something?

I think the first thing to test will be whether or not it crashes with just one NDLR attached or not. Can you test that out for me a little bit and see if that is still happening. I won't have time to test it on my octatrack until friday, so if you can work on it a little bit until then I will try putting together up a set on mine and seeing if I can get it to crash.

JEsse

(03-10-2021, 08:29 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote:

Jesse

Oh dang, that's awesome. Are you using the NDLRs CLync functionality to chain the devices? That is what that is designed to do (link two units with CCs over midi) but we haven't really fully tested it. It may be that if we can get the first one to stop crapping out, we can use that to get the same results. How is the MIDI sent to both devices since the NDLR doesn't pass MIDI from the CTRL channel? are you using a MIDI Splitter or something?

I think the first thing to test will be whether or not it crashes with just one NDLR attached or not. Can you test that out for me a little bit and see if that is still happening. I won't have time to test it on my octatrack until friday, so if you can work on it a little bit until then I will try putting together up a set on mine and seeing if I can get it to crash.

JEsse
Oh I just looked at the manual in the MIDI implementation, and CC 26 and CC27 do the same thing as the black and white keys in the Mode you are using (NDLR CTRL black and white- white keys control Degree [cc26], black keys control chord Quality[cc27]) I don't think that would cause it to crash, or it shouldn't anyway, but it may be worth trying it out with just one source controlling them, like just the CCs or just the keys, or set CTRL to white keys and use CC for Quality, etc.
Let me know if that turns out any different and I will continue on my previously described course of action.
Jesse
Yes. I did try using the key method. The issue I had was I couldn’t seem to get the other alternative degree by parameter locking the sharps/flats keys (the black ones) on the octatrack....whose track was set to the base key of C4. That’s why I used the additional cc because I was hoping to use it to automate substitutions, etc

Jesse

JEsse

Jesse

JEsse
Oh I just looked at the manual in the MIDI implementation, and CC 26 and CC27 do the same thing as the black and white keys in the Mode you are using (NDLR CTRL black and white- white keys control Degree [cc26], black keys control chord Quality[cc27]) I don't think that would cause it to crash, or it shouldn't anyway, but it may be worth trying it out with just one source controlling them, like just the CCs or just the keys, or set CTRL to white keys and use CC for Quality, etc.
Let me know if that turns out any different and I will continue on my previously described course of action.
Jesse

Ok I have changed CTRL to "white keys" only (letting it run for about an hour) and I just put parameter lock CC's on chord degree so I will let that run for some time. I am hoping this work around works because being able to switch from arbitrary to automated harmonic motion setups would be so damn clutch.

in an hour if the NDLR is still running, I will plock another CC with the octatrack and so on and so on so I can gauge its overall load capacity.

I am so stoked about the midi implementation of the Pad attributes...and I must say that the overall MIDI specification is my very favorite thing about the NDLR.
ok currently testing with two additional cc's from the octatrack...this time around the parameter locks are on pad range(#30) and pad spread (#31)...and its sounds exactly why I wanted to buy this product. By being able to automate the chords and the degree and the track attributes there are so many wonderfully nuanced tones taking place. (please dont crash on me NDLR!)

and it crashed 5 minutes after the last post. Huh Huh Sad Sad Sad Sad Huh Huh
Ok I tested again and it seems to be related so far to midi cc 31...”pad spread”

After changing from midi cc 31 to 29 the NDLR was able to run from the octatrack all night. (NDLR ctrl White keys only mode)

Now I added a 4th cc for pad velocity and doing a stability test...
And it crashed again after letting the sequencer run and trying to alter “pad spread” from the NDLR...

However the octatrack shows promise by being able to add in control nodes for “key”, “mode” and “velocity” which greatly expands the NDLR’s immediate functionality...allowing for more jazz like permutations...and this is without parameter locks.

This could all probably be fixed by adding a max pad voice count...max 4 - 7 voices for me because I with that I can get a lush sound...

Anyhow moving forward since the octatrack has 8 midi tracks it’s actually an idea companion for the NDLR , accessing other attributes and have entire pages dedicated to each track’s functionality/