Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pause Play "On the Beat"
Hello! Loving my NDLR

One thing I REALLY wish my NRDL could do was the ability to pause and start the Motif's on the beat... If jamming in the studio or playing out live, it would give a lot more ability to the unit to be able sense when the next beat is coming and start again on beat, and not have to time the start perfectly.

Thanks!   Big Grin
(02-15-2021, 02:18 PM)JamsLoud Wrote: Hello! Loving my NDLR

One thing I REALLY wish my NRDL could do was the ability to pause and start the Motif's on the beat... If jamming in the studio or playing out live, it would give a lot more ability to the unit to be able sense when the next beat is coming and start again on beat, and not have to time the start perfectly.

Thanks!   Big Grin

This! so much this!

Not just the ability to start/stop motifs on the beat (rather than trying to hit the beat every damn time). 
But to have the motif start position to match the beat in the bar (rather than continue from where it stopped)

The pad has this ability, please allow the motifs to have it as well
One issue with this is that the motifs don't have bars, and their rhythm and pattern length are completely separated, so there is no really solid way to make it guaranteed to make sense in the way you are discussing. I definitely see the benefit of what you are requesting and it's been requested before, but it just goes against the NDLRs design philosophy.

What the NDLR is at it's core is basically a tool to Noodle with all your gear while you unwind from a hard days of work, it's like the MIDI version of a Miller High Life. And like someone after a few Miller High Lifes, it's a meandering path that the NDLR cuts, and having parts cut in and out (by hand or via CC or Mod Matrix) is a big part of it's identity.

Unfortunately every design decision is a double edged sword, and is guaranteed to polarize a users experience (there are two types of people in the world, those who like it and those who don't). It's hard, because we do want to make people happy, but the reality is that when we do change things from time to time, inevitably we hear from someone else shortly after telling us they wished we had left it the way it was.

So in short, it's not a bad idea, but I'm sorry to say that it's not likely to be something we change at this point in time.

Jesse
(12-14-2021, 06:21 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: One issue with this is that the motifs don't have bars, and their rhythm and pattern length are completely separated, so there is no really solid way to make it guaranteed to make sense in the way you are discussing. I definitely see the benefit of what you are requesting and it's been requested before, but it just goes against the NDLRs design philosophy.

Jesse

This is true, but then the Pad and Drone have a more defined length that could be seen to be equivalent to a bar. One option would be to start/stop the motif(s) at the same time the pad or drone would change.

The major stumbling block I have (and this is now a killer for me personally) is that I hate timing a chord change so that 1) you don't get any "off" motif notes sounding out before the pad/drone changes, or 2) missing the pad/drone change entirely.
It could be very simple quantize setting, start stop with 8/16/24/32/48/64 steps
It’s up to the user then to count and push anywhere within that grid. but once set steps have been completed the start or stop is executed

I.e. setting is 16
Count starts at first play of ANY of the play buttons
All following plays start in interval of 16
When you press drone at 9, it starts (or stops) playing after reaching 16
I’m personally ok with no grid, but users suffering timing could benefit.
Have to be brutally honest, but I find this comment: "...but it just goes against the NDLRs design philosophy." somewhat myopic, staid and introvert?

Is NDLR a tool for your customers to use as they see fit, or a surrogate Miller High Life for its designer?

Sorry, I genuinely don't want to come across as unappreciative or disrespectful - I like many aspects of my NDLR - but I just don't see that type of response as particularly customer centric. The world evolves, people evolve, requirements evolve, music evolves, products ... ahem ... evolve.

Just my penny's worth.
in a musical way I really would like to see this feature available, maybe it can be realized in the Rythm Editor where I can tell the NDLR the Beatstep for starting in just by selecting it with knob 4, so what ever I choose for editing the NDLR will take for start in. Sounds charming? Yes it does ;-)
Agreed, been battling for hours to get my track in sync and finally decided to never stop the NDLR and used the mixer to play/stop the various track. Sync is a real bummer and while I can understand the desire to produce sort of polyrhythmic patterns my philosophy is to keep things in tempo and this is a real struggle. The possibility to keep everything is the right tonality is what got my interest but I’m not only into long evolving patterns that allow auto-generative ambiant.