Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
using vst sequencer to control ndlr in fl studio
(02-17-2021, 01:04 PM)House de Kris Wrote: Not sure if I should butt in here or not, but what is meant by simultaneous MIDI notes? MIDI is a serial bus and can transmit only one note at a time. When using a sequencer, and multiple notes/messages are intended to be send at the same instant, something must arbitrate the serialization of these notes/messages to be sent down the pipe one at a time. Could be the program, the OS, or the physical interface - I have no idea.

As far as the NDLR is concerned, I presume it's the last note sent which prevails. Thus, if the arbitrator has a 'lowest note has priority' mentality, it probably sends the highest note last. Which would be the last thing NDLR hears as far as commands, hence highest note wins.

If I've missed the point of the comments earlier, please excuse this intrusion.

I'm, pretty sure Kris is right about this, there isn't really a 'simultaneous' when the device reading the key presses is operating in the MHz range, so what to us feels like a single moment is time for a literal million events to occur and be dealt with in order. I think it should be the last note received that the NDLR 'settles' on as long as we're talking about the  NDRL Ctrl channel.

Jesse

(02-17-2021, 01:04 PM)House de Kris Wrote: Not sure if I should butt in here or not, but what is meant by simultaneous MIDI notes? MIDI is a serial bus and can transmit only one note at a time. When using a sequencer, and multiple notes/messages are intended to be send at the same instant, something must arbitrate the serialization of these notes/messages to be sent down the pipe one at a time. Could be the program, the OS, or the physical interface - I have no idea.

As far as the NDLR is concerned, I presume it's the last note sent which prevails. Thus, if the arbitrator has a 'lowest note has priority' mentality, it probably sends the highest note last. Which would be the last thing NDLR hears as far as commands, hence highest note wins.

If I've missed the point of the comments earlier, please excuse this intrusion.

I'm, pretty sure Kris is right about this, there isn't really a 'simultaneous' when the device reading the key presses is operating in the MHz range, so what to us feels like a single moment is time for a literal million events to occur and be dealt with in order. I think it should be the last note received that the NDLR 'settles' on as long as we're talking about the  NDRL Ctrl channel.

Jesse

Messages In This Thread
RE: using vst sequencer to control ndlr in fl studio - by Jesse Johannesen - 02-18-2021, 09:29 AM