Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can the MRCC include ERM Multiclock functions?
I have been looking for a router as well as a device that does what the ERM Multiclock USB Sync performs.  Any chance that the MRCC will include this type of capability, or would the processors be unable to accomplish this?

As an early NDLR supporter, I am looking forward to getting on an early list for this.  Never saw it on Kickstarter like the NDLR.

Good luck,

Jim voos
(05-31-2020, 07:35 PM)daiku1 Wrote: I have been looking for a router as well as a device that does what the ERM Multiclock USB Sync performs.  Any chance that the MRCC will include this type of capability, or would the processors be unable to accomplish this?

As an early NDLR supporter, I am looking forward to getting on an early list for this.  Never saw it on Kickstarter like the NDLR.

Good luck,

Jim voos
Hey Jim, I am only familiar with the ERM in passing, but I think Steve knows more than me about it, is there specific functionality that you were hoping for? I can check with him to see if we're planning to include that functionality and get back to you.

Thanks for your support!
Jesse
Given that the MRCC will be connecting LOTS of devices, it is likely that connection with DAWs like Ableton will be a part of the mix. When trying to bring together multiple devices, midi jitter and timing issues occur between devices and the clock so things are off in timing. I think this video explains it well, from Ricky Tinez:

https://youtu.be/EqNOML5nbEE

The ERM is Very Expensive but solves this problem, so if the MRCC offered a similar function, it's value proposition would be raised substantially.
(06-02-2020, 02:01 PM)daiku1 Wrote: Given that the MRCC will be connecting LOTS of devices, it is likely that connection with DAWs like  Ableton will be a part of the mix.  When trying to bring together multiple devices, midi jitter and timing issues occur between devices and the clock so things are off in timing.  I think this video explains it well, from Ricky Tinez:

https://youtu.be/EqNOML5nbEE

The ERM is Very Expensive but solves this problem, so if the MRCC offered a similar function, it's value proposition would be raised substantially.
I love Ricky, I'll take a look at this and see whats up. Thanks,
Jesse
Hi, I registered to this forum especially to express my desire to get some ERM Multiclock functionality into the MRCC too. It would mean an instant buy for me and a huge asset to my studio and live rig. I intend to bring devices such as a laptop running Ableton, an MPC, a NDLR (happy NDLR user here! :-)) and a TR-8S to a live gig but I deliberately don't want to run all of them off the same master sync source. I am looking for the ability to independently start and stop all of these, so that a sequencer that receives a start signal kicks in exactly at the start of the next bar. This would allow me to treat a live performance much like a DJ set on steroids, where I have the freedom to load in any song in Ableton or my MPC while other sequencers are playing and then punch them in...
One of the big plus of the ERM MC is getting via a plugin or a special wave file for DAWs sending out "clock signals" from your soundcard and sending these to the MC. This way you have a tight sync to your hardware from a DAW. I do not see an input on the mrcc for this - an audio signal or a cv/gate in for calcualting the clock. Or will teh mrcc have it ? another option would be midi over rtp, the tcp/ip stack is far tighter and better then the usb drivers in regards to latency and stable timings..
Hi guys. Today I came to the forum for clues concerning if the device can also function as a typical USB hub, but only because mine started having issues. But generally--and ofc more importantly--I'm scanning the forum for clues concerning if it will have Multiclock-like functionality.

So, me too Wink
Hi Jesse,

I created an account to say that I would also buy one of these if it did the basic MIDI clock offset functionality of the E-RM multiclock.

That is, you can offset the clock signals that are being sent out by 1/10th of 1 ms offsets. For example, one MIDI output can be connected to an E-mu SP-1200 with -0.5 ms offset, and another can be connected to an Akai MPC-3000 with the clock delayed 2.1 ms, allowing the sequencers to be actually in sync with each other and a DAW, as opposed to having phasing issues.

The other part of how the multiclock achieves superior sync is that it can sync to a sync signal generated by an audio interface (DAC) originating from a DAW. Their plugin makes it really easy, but really only a DAC is needed to make the pulses. E-rm advertises +/-1 sample jitter at 48khz when syncing multiclock this way. It seems like this could be more difficult or impossible to achieve on the hardware you've designed as others have pointed out.

I hardly care about the other things the multiclock does, like prioritizing clock messages over other midi messages, allowing for clock division of or shuffle introduced to the midi clock outputs, or the transport controls for each midi output.

Please consider a clock offset feature like the multiclock's.

To put a finer point on it, I would be just ecstatic to buy the MRCC instead of a second and likely third multiclock which I would pick up just for this clock functionality (and certainly not for anything else it does).

Thanks!
I would also love to see this. I was considering getting an ERM to run alongside the MRCC, but if this was built in, I'd probably just get another MRCC for my bandmate and we'd move all of our sync across to this, with the MungoSync for restarting sequencers when we stuff something up.
The Puppeteer
Godlike Productions
Can MRCC offset MIDI clocks like the E-rm multiclock?