Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trigger Motif to play x-number of bars then stop
Greetings,

Am pretty new to this forum and to the NDLR.  Been playing with it on and off for a couple of weeks and have enjoyed its fresh concept of music making.

Been trying to find a way how to control the Motif to play only during first half of bar then stop and retrigger back on again at the beginning of new bar.  Been playing around with Mod Matrix section but haven't yet found the secret.

Perhaps instead of trying to do this from inside the NDLR itself, do it from the Squarp Pyramid sequencer?  The last time triying caused a nasty MIDI loop and had to physically power cycle those components.  All of my gear is routed thru mio10 box and the Pyramid and NDLR devices are active controllers. Each device does a great job controlling other devices except for when it tries to control each other.

Suggestions?
Hey endreola, glad to hear you're getting on well with the NDLR! If I'm understanding your goal correctly that should be doable in the mod matrix, motif on/off is a viable destination so you could send an lfo timed to the frequency you want to turn it on and off. I haven't tried this yet, but you might even be able to send a ramp shape and by changing the mod amount you could change the point it transitions to be earlier or later than the 50% point.

Otherwise CC87/88 is motif 1/2 play/pause and a it changes state as follows: >62 = play <63 pause, but getting things to work without a midi loop while keeping the same setup could be difficult without knowing exactly what data is causing the loop. my advice is see if you can get the lfo to work and report back.
Good luck,
Jesse
(02-17-2020, 10:25 AM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: Hey endreola, glad to hear you're getting on well with the NDLR! If I'm understanding your goal correctly that should be doable in the mod matrix, motif on/off is a viable destination so you could send an lfo timed to the frequency you want to turn it on and off. I haven't tried this yet, but you might even be able to send a ramp shape and by changing the mod amount you could change the point it transitions to be earlier or later than the 50% point.

Otherwise CC87/88 is motif 1/2 play/pause and a it changes state as follows: >62 = play <63 pause, but getting things to work without a midi loop while keeping the same setup could be difficult without knowing exactly what data is causing the loop.  my advice is see if you can get the lfo to work and report back.
Good luck,
Jesse

Jesse,

Thank you for the guidance. Your suggestion to use mod matrix worked like a charm. And the midi loop issue was user error. Even though I don't use a KB to control the NDLR, I made the mistake of using the same channel...

Cheers
(02-24-2020, 12:34 AM)endreola Wrote:
(02-17-2020, 10:25 AM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: Hey endreola, glad to hear you're getting on well with the NDLR! If I'm understanding your goal correctly that should be doable in the mod matrix, motif on/off is a viable destination so you could send an lfo timed to the frequency you want to turn it on and off. I haven't tried this yet, but you might even be able to send a ramp shape and by changing the mod amount you could change the point it transitions to be earlier or later than the 50% point.

Otherwise CC87/88 is motif 1/2 play/pause and a it changes state as follows: >62 = play <63 pause, but getting things to work without a midi loop while keeping the same setup could be difficult without knowing exactly what data is causing the loop.  my advice is see if you can get the lfo to work and report back.
Good luck,
Jesse

Jesse,

Thank you for the guidance.  Your suggestion to use mod matrix worked like a charm.  And the midi loop issue was user error. Even though I don't use a KB to control the NDLR, I made the mistake of using the same channel...

Cheers
I'm glad to have been of service!
Happy NDLing,
Jesse
(02-24-2020, 08:47 AM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote:

Good luck,
Jesse

Jesse,

Thank you for the guidance.  Your suggestion to use mod matrix worked like a charm.  And the midi loop issue was user error. Even though I don't use a KB to control the NDLR, I made the mistake of using the same channel...

Cheers
Happy NDLing,
Jesse

Using Mod Matrix with square wave LFO does toggle the part on/off, which was the effect that I was seeking. To my surprise after pressing off button it auto started again at the next cycle.  Made me chuckle.  It would be great if this behavior can be modified somewhat whereby pressing the on/off acts as a master override, thus preventing the part to auto restart.
(03-27-2020, 10:07 PM)endreola Wrote:

Good luck,
Jesse

Jesse,

Cheers
Happy NDLing,
Jesse

Using Mod Matrix with square wave LFO does toggle the part on/off, which was the effect that I was seeking. To my surprise after pressing off button it auto started again at the next cycle.  Made me chuckle.  It would be great if this behavior can be modified somewhat whereby pressing the on/off acts as a master override, thus preventing the part to auto restart.
By using the button combo [SHIFT+PLAY/PAUSE] you can pause modulation for any part. By substituting the PLAY ALL you can pause all parts Modulation. Give that a shot and hopefully this does what you're looking for.
Jesse
(03-28-2020, 07:16 AM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote:
(03-27-2020, 10:07 PM)endreola Wrote:

Good luck,
Jesse

Jesse,

Cheers
Happy NDLing,
Jesse

By using the button combo [SHIFT+PLAY/PAUSE] you can pause modulation for any part. By substituting the PLAY ALL you can pause all parts Modulation. Give that a shot and hopefully this does what you're looking for.
Jesse
Great suggestion, Jesse.  

Toggling PAUSE does indeed achieve the effect that I'm after.  The part restarts after unpausing but I haven't yet found its sweet spot where it will restart on the 1st bar.  It tends to lag somewhat and mostly restarts on bar 2 and randomly on bar 3 or 4.  This does make for a cool effect but not for my current project.  Think I attempt automating it via Pyramid sequencer, see if that provides a more consistent result.

As always, you guys have been great supporting the community with quick responses!  

Cheers