Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
On/Off switch
I wish my NDLR had an on/off switch. I'm not mobile and try to keep my setup tidy. It feels untidy plugging and unplugging the USB cable.

In the meantime, would something like this cause issues on the NDLR? Or should this work ok? 
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1620
Yes, that switch should work ok to turn it on and off. However, I might not want that connected while doing firmware updates. Its probably totally violating the USB matched impedance, YMMV.

I use a power strip to turn off everything at once. I usually don't turn off the NDLR, its so little power.
Thanks. After some reading it looks like this type is only passing power, not signal.

I also use a power strip for everything. I just wish the NDLR went off and on with the strip.

In my ultimate dreams I want to be able to throw one of those old, dangerous throw switches like Tesla would have in his lab, and then see everything come on. But if I can make everything come on with one power strip and no other finnagling I'd be a happy camper.

I might try to make my own switch cable. I've done it in the past for my cockpit builds. I just wasn't sure how picky the midi traffic would be about having the wire modified. Sounds like you think only the firmware update kinda of stuff needs an uncut cable. Another project for the list!