Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pad notes 'sticking'
Hi folks, 

My NDLR (a MK 1) is setup so that the PAD notes are on MIDI channel 5 (using USB1). I have a Launchpad Pro Mk 3 connected to the MIDI A, sending notes to be harmonized on channel 9. I use the Launchpad as a keyboard, with the NDLR handling all the sequencing and harmony.  The NDLR and the LP3 are both synced to my DAWs (Bitwig) most of the time.

Normally, this works perfectly well. However, since the latest upgrade (which is AWSOME, by the way)  I find then when I play notes in via the LP3, the Pad often (not consistently) will get stuck and just continually play a chord. It requires a midi panic hit (Shift Panic) to stop.  If I change the chords on the NDLR, the previous 'stuck' notes continue to play. If I stop the Pad via the NDLR, the stuck notes continue to play.

I do not think this is an issue with Bitwig, as it also happens when I connect the set-up to other software, such as Voltage Modular.  It also happens on all the computers I use.

I am wondering if this is a bug that's crept in, or if it is an issue with my setup.  Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Best regards,
Joe
Hey Joe, I have seen some synths do this when using the PAD, it's been a while since I ran into it though so I don't remember if I found a solution or if I just worked around it. (I'm pretty sure that) The MIDI spec says that you don't need a delay between note off and note on messages, and I suspect that some synths actually do require a delay in some cases, or rather when there are a lot of notes, they do. I remember that in my experience it happened more with some synths than others, is that the case for you?

I think when I see this is usually when I have PAD settings where a lot of notes are playing. Try experimenting with narrower range settings etc and let me know if it has an impact on the frequency of this occuring. I suspect it will. I may have to see if I can get this to happen on my end again and I'll let you know. If so maybe I can record the outgoing MIDI and check that all notes are getting off messages sent.