Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Play Chords with MRCC
Hello and HNY to everybody
I am French and i am turning 68 this Saturday so my English may be a little rusty

Anyway..

I have one Korg NanoKey2 plugged into the USB A port of the MRCC and a BOSS DS-330 synth connected with a midi cable on midi DIN 1

The DS-330 is a multitimbral synth and can play on 16 channels at the same time.

So I want to know if it is possible to , by pressing one key on the NanoKey2 , have the MRCC send a chord (3 notes or more) to the DS-330 (on one or many channels)

And it would be fantastic if the chords would be harmonized with the current Key (Major , Minor , Harmonid Minor , etc ...) or Mode (Dorian , Lydian ..)

And Even more fantastic if the chords could drive the Arpeggiator.

Have a great day and thanks for reading.
I believe what you are asking for could be possible. Unfortunately I've been away from my studio for a couple months, so I am currently unable to test this out. I'm sure others will chime in if I'm way off base.

To get chords, I'd use the transpose MOD (modifier). Here are the steps I'd try first to see if anything happens as you desire:
1. Route the NanoKey2 to two unused DIN outputs (ie, 2 and 3)
2. Put MOD1 on DIN2 with whatever interval you want for the second note
3. Put MOD2 on DIN3 with whatever interval you want for the third note
4. Put a MIDI cable from DIN 2 OUT to DIN 2 IN
5. Put a MIDI cable from DIN 3 OUT to DIN 3 IN
6. Route USB A IN, DIN 2 IN, and DIN 3 IN to DIN 1 OUT (where your DS-330 is located)

Pressing a single note on the NanoKey2 should make three notes play a chord now. The only drawback is that it will always be a Major or Minor chord as you've set up the intervals. To play appropriately in key with whatever Mode you want to play in, won't happen because (as I'm sure you are aware) each Mode will have three Major chords and three Minor chords. This arrangement would limit you to what chords you could play and still be in key.

Likewise, you could take this three note chord to another unused DIN output and use an external MIDI cable to bring it to another unused input and have that drive the arpeggiator, which would then be routed to your synth. Going further, you could also use MODs to spread a single key press to multiple channels.

I encourage you to experiment.
Smile 
Hello 

You Made My (birth)Day 

I have made a slightly different setup that the one you suggested

So now , I am using my "real" Keyboard which is a StudioLogic SL-88

It is plugged in Midi DIN in 1

The Midi DIN out 1 is plugged into Midi DIN in 2
The Midi DIN out 2 is plugged into Midi DIN in 3
The midi DIN out 3 is plugged into Midi DIN in 4
and finally the Midi DIN out 4 is plugged to the DS-330

for the routing and the mods i have

Midi in 1 routed to Midi out 1 with TP1 (=0) and NMp 
Midi in 1 routed to Midi out 2 with TP2 (=4) and NMp 
Midi in 1 routed to Midi out 3 with TP3 (=7) and NMp
Midi in 1 routed to Midi out 4 with  Nmp

Midi in 2 routed to Midi out 2

Midi in 3 routed to Midi out 3

Midi in 4 routed to Midi out 4

The 1st Arpeggiator is "listening" to Src Port 4 and sending to Dst Port 4

I have the NMp with only white keys allowed

And Guess What ..... It is working 

The Arp plays all chords of the Cmajor Scale (C Dm Em F G Am and B dim) by pressing only one white key on the SL-88

Th only "little problem" is that there seems to be no way to have only the Arp playing (without the sound made by the pressing  of the Key)
but since the Arp is not velocity sensitive I just have to slightly press the key .

Great Great Thanks for the trick and have a nice day (mine will be)