Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to use Sub 37 or Minitaur editors in ableton with MRCC
Hi,

I am a new owner of the MRCC. Only had it a couple of days.
I have been trying to work out how to use the Subsequent  37 and the Minitaur editors in ableton whilst connected to the MRCC. 
Does anyone have any experience with this setup?
I can use the sub37 if used as an external instrument in ableton without the editor. Midi out of sub37 goes to midi in 5 of MRCC using 5 pin din. I send that midi in to PC out 5. I then set the midi from on sub 37 track in ableton to MRCC port 5. I set the midi to on ext. Instrument to MRCC port 5. Everything works.
How do I use the editor? I cannot get it to connect to the hardware. The MRCC is receiving a midi signal. 
Can anyone help with how I use usb midi to connect sub 37 and the minitaur?
I really need to use the editors especially for the minitaur.
Any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks.
I'm also interested in this with the likes of a TR-8s, or even to the Launchpad.
I don't know about those specific setups, but for some of my devices there are USB connections going to the PC via hubs for software and firmware needs, while going to the MRCC via DIN cables.  For one device using USB to both, I switch connections as needed for preset backup and updates, which are thankfully not too often.  I've read here about SysEx being passed through, but haven't used that myself.  Some devices seem to need fixed MIDI ports on an interface, instead of routable connections, to talk to their companion softwares via regular MIDI connections.
So I can't comment on the specific editors referenced above, but if I understand this situation correctly there are 3 probable ways that the editors could work:
1. they use MIDI CC and provide a visual interface in the software.
2. they use a direct USB connection and some proprietary communication protocol
3. they would send SysEx

In most cases I can imagine type 1 should work. No issues sending CCs (Unless they are sent through the MRCC Ctrl channel which filters data to control the MRCC).

Type 2 will definitely not work because the connection is MIDI and not USB protocol.

Type 3 may be MRCC compatible, however it hinges on the Sysex sender being able to limit packet size to 256 byte and include a small delay between packets. This may be the situation by default, but unfortunately we can't know without trying in most cases.

I haven't got either device to test with, but I will take a look around the web and see if I can discover any info on the editors. If you can post me a link that would also be helpful.

I took a quick look at the Editor and found this:
Note to Windows Users: The Minitaur Editor requires bi-directional MIDI communication with the Minitaur via
the Minitaur's USB MIDI connection. However, the two programs (The DAW and the Editor) cannot both
access the same USB MIDI device at the same time, unless you have installed the Minitaur USB Driver. This
driver is included with the Editor download, and requires that your Minitaur is running firmware v2.2.0. If the
Minitaur Editor plugin reports that the Moog Minitaur is unavailable for MIDI Input and MIDI Output (and the
Minitaur is connected and receiving MIDI from your DAW), then you may need to install the Minitaur USB
Driver. Make sure your Minitaur is updated to the v2.2.0 firmware before installing the Minitaur USB Driver.
(06-19-2023, 01:57 PM)Dark Waves Wrote: I don't know about those specific setups, but for some of my devices there are USB connections going to the PC via hubs for software and firmware needs, while going to the MRCC via DIN cables.  For one device using USB to both, I switch connections as needed for preset backup and updates, which are thankfully not too often.  I've read here about SysEx being passed through, but haven't used that myself.  Some devices seem to need fixed MIDI ports on an interface, instead of routable connections, to talk to their companion softwares via regular MIDI connections.

Yeah I was beginning to think that this would end up being the required method. Connect all the USB ports on devices to a USB hub to the computer and then use DIN to connect to everything that uses USB.. Looks like I need to do a bunch of extra cable shopping Sad