Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NDLR as VST
Would you please talk a bit about any consideration you've given to doing a NDLR VST.  NDLR is a great concept and implementation, with limitations of hardware that you could leave behind as a VST.  Being a lowly end-user, I don't know everything that goes into it, but it seems like most of the work is done.  What would the process look like, even in general, to get to VST?
Hey grey,
The subject has come up before, however I don't think it's really an undertaking that we are interested in embarking upon. In general it is getting easier and easier to make a vst, you can even make them using tools like pure data or max msp, but most VSTs these days are written (I think) in Juce/C++, which would probably be necessary for a project of this size. There are a few reasons we would probably pass on the option, one: I think I may be the only one of us who even owns a DAW, and really the whole reason the NDLR exists is because it allows for hands on Noodling without needing a computer to be involved. Not that we frown on using computers, of course, I think it's just at odds with the mission of the project.

Second: In terms of labor, in this case it might take a year to port the software to VST, I can't say for sure but the project would be pretty big. It would probably be faster to just write new code from scratch.

Finally I think having to port the software across multiple platforms and worry about updates and maintaining it would just take too much of the time that Steve would like to be working on fun new projects.

Now with all of that said, it does seem like something that I would still enjoy using myself and I can see why you would suggest it.
I appreciate your sharing your thoughts.  I did not know how large an undertaking it would be.  It's been too long since NDLRs have been available Smile .  And it seemed like you guys have very cool IP just sitting there.  Thanks for the response!
We're getting very close to having more devices available Smile