Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ClikIn CV slow BPM for Clock In?
Hello, so, I have the NDLR "clock in" set to "ClkIn CV" with a chord from a Roland TR-8S "Trigger Out" to "NDLR's CLK IN".

However, while the TR-8S is set to say, 120 BPM the NDLR plays 10 BPM rather than 120, or whatever the BPM may be the NDLR doesn't change to reflect it and stays within that very slow range.

When I switch the clock to anything but internal the BPM changes to 18.5.

I cannot figure out why this is. Thanks!
I only glanced quickly at the TR-8S manual, but it appears that its "Trigger Out" is more of a trigger out than a clock out. Meaning, it's just not going to generate enough edges to be called a clock. Have you tried syncing the two via 5-pin MIDI? Might have more luck with that route.
(09-02-2023, 04:02 PM)House de Kris Wrote: I only glanced quickly at the TR-8S manual, but it appears that its "Trigger Out" is more of a trigger out than a clock out. Meaning, it's just not going to generate enough edges to be called a clock. Have you tried syncing the two via 5-pin MIDI? Might have more luck with that route.

Thanks. However, the TR-8S does both trigger and sync my synths: Korg Minilogue XD, Arturia Minibrute 2S, and a Cre8Audio West Pest. It does trigger the NDLR, just not sync the BPM.

Also, seems kind of weird when I change the NDLR to anything other than internal it immediately defaults to 18.5 BPM, but keep in mind I'm no pro-- just a home hobbyist dilettante! 

Is that normal for them to do that? Perhaps someone would be kind enough to check?

Thank you!
Trigger and sync are not necessarily equivalent to a clock. As noted on page 25 of the NDLR manual, the NDLR is expecting 24 Pulses Per Quarter note (PPQ). I suspect the trigger is only outputting 1 pulse per note (thus, the PPQ will change depending on if you are making eighth notes or sixteenth notes). The other instruments are happy to receive a single pulse to trigger their activity, but this is not a clock.

This is why I suggested using the 5-pin MIDI connection to get the NDLR to play in sync with your TR-8S. The MIDI spec for clocks is always 24PPQ and nothing else. It always works.

I just turned on my NDLR. With it set to anything but internal (and no external clocks supplied), it always says 0.0BPM in blue text. If I start and stop the external clock, it displays the proper BPM. When the external clock stops, it continues to read the last BPM it received, until a new clock is started.

Hope this helps.
(09-03-2023, 12:14 PM)House de Kris Wrote: Trigger and sync are not necessarily equivalent to a clock. As noted on page 25 of the NDLR manual, the NDLR is expecting 24 Pulses Per Quarter note (PPQ). I suspect the trigger is only outputting 1 pulse per note (thus, the PPQ will change depending on if you are making eighth notes or sixteenth notes). The other instruments are happy to receive a single pulse to trigger their activity, but this is not a clock.

This is why I suggested using the 5-pin MIDI connection to get the NDLR to play in sync with your TR-8S. The MIDI spec for clocks is always 24PPQ and nothing else. It always works.

I just turned on my NDLR. With it set to anything but internal (and no external clocks supplied), it always says 0.0BPM in blue text. If I start and stop the external clock, it displays the proper BPM. When the external clock stops, it continues to read the last BPM it received, until a new clock is started.

Hope this helps.

Yes, it does help. Thanks! I'll try the 5 pin. Though I feel a bit sad about it.
i came here to ask if it received trigger input. Clearly it doesn't. Is there any chance a firmware update could enable this in the future. If i could use my Stolperbeats eurorack module to trigger staggered timing it would be an instant buy for me.

Also, it is a shame it doesn't have CV out
The issue is that the firmware operates at the speed of the clock, so if that clock is 24ppqn high speed analog clock, it will advance through it's behavior as expected, however it does exactly nothing between clock ticks, so with slower clock sources, it does what it's supposed to, just at a slower rate, (like 1/6th speed for 4ppqn clock signal). As far as FW updates, that will not be something that is addressed I can pretty much guarantee. It would require an entire rewrite of large parts of the device's code.