Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No support of Chase Bliss pedals?
I'm having a few effects pedals (Chase Bliss, Empress, Hologram), which are all MIDI-controllable., I'm not new to this: But, with the Chase Bliss pedals I have no luck when it comes to the MRCC. I'm using a MIDI-to-TRS-B-cable which works absolutely fine, when I connect the pedals directly to an Elektron Digitone, Digitakt or AKAI MPC One for example. Also when I'm using a MIDI-TRHU-port of the ASM Hydrasynth, Microcosm or even a passive MIDI-Splitter like MIDI Solutions Quadra Thru V2, the Chase Bliss pedals do, what they are supposed to do, except with the MRCC. Attached to it MIDI won't work at all. To me it looks like something essential for those pedals is filtered out by the MRCC. Any ideas?
Can you shoot me an email at support@conductivelabs.com? I think what you're describing should work, we should schedule a call to try and troubleshoot it.
(11-08-2022, 03:50 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: Can you shoot me an email at support@conductivelabs.com? I think what you're describing should work, we should schedule a call to try and troubleshoot it.

Hi Jesse,
Did you all find a solution to this? I just sent a support request for this exact issue (plus some other questions to better understand some other things). 

Thank you.
Hey, I didn't ever solve this issue, as I don't think we ever got connected, however I took a look around. While They don't discuss their pinout explicitly on any of their documentation, the do mention they use an "Active Ring", which is similar to Type B, and people have reported positive results with B connectors/converters, but there are other people who've reported issues. After looking around I was able to find a reddit post that seems to pin down why, here is a quote from that post:

Quote:Chase Bliss often uses the same jack for both MIDI and tap tempo/CV functions, so they share that jack for both jobs by putting MIDI on the ring and the other functions on the tip. If you use the ring, the tip needs to be disconnected. If you use the tip, the ring needs to be disconnected. Otherwise introducing a connected voltage in the unused tip or ring could interfere with the connection.
Perhaps in the future, Chase Bliss could add a dipswitch that shuts off any connection for the tip or ring for that jack. It would be better if they just went with the TRS Type A standard, which the MIDI Association has adapted as the official standard for TRS MIDI. But I don't know offhand if that would require giving up the tap tempo or CV functions on the same jack.
https://reddit.com/r/blooper/comments/12..._trs_type/

So the take away here is that in MIDI B configurations the tip is the current return path, and the ring is the current source. The data is passed by turning on and off that current to light up an LED inside the receiving device, if that current doesn't have a return path it's not supposed to work. Since this setup is utilizing CV / tap tempo on that pin, it may be using the Shielding to return current, which is not MIDI B spec, and is also worth mentioning is that this is just my speculation, I could be wrong. What is clear is that this isn't MIDI A or B, so it's not a MIDI configuration that the MRCC supports explicitly. It sounds like the best option (until I have one of their pedals in hand to experiment with), would be to try using their converter box.