Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MRCC 880 issue with patch data sysex not transmitting from PC to synth DIN input
Darryl wrote:
"By the way, the MRCC 880 doesn't blink the LEDs for SysEx data."

Yes, sorry for stating otherwise. Based on 880's observed behavior today, I can see that you are correct. No lights with SysEx, period.

=== CZ-101 has special needs re: transmit buffer size ===
From reading other posts online, I can confirm that CZ-101 needs extra help in SysEx transmission,
e.g., from a comment re: another MIDI software product, on GitHub:

'[...]  should have the ability to modify SysEx buffer size and the delay between the buffers being sent.

This is important for "legacy" devices such as the Casio CZ-101 which requires smaller packets of data and increased delay time for SysEx patch interchange to complete successfully.

This may also prove to be useful on other, older, MIDI devices which should not be left behind, even if they don't conform 100% to the MIDI specification.[...]'

So there you go.

=== Summary ===
Using macOS SysEx Librarian, with MRCC 880: 
* PC-CZ transfer doesn't work when "Transmit Buffer Size" is set to "Default" speed
PC-CZ transfer DOES work when "Transmit Buffer Size"  is set to 256 bytes or less

Whereas, using macOS SysEx Librarian with other MIDI interfaces: 
* With an E-MU XMidi1X1 (simple USB to MIDI interface) =>  PC-CZ transfer works fine at "Default" speed
* With an iConnectivity iConnectAudio4 MIDI interface =>  PC-CZ transfer works fine at "Default" speed

=== Addendum (further testing with E-MU interface and MRCC 880) ===
Just for fun, I connected the E-MU MIDI interface with a single DIN IN/OUT, directly to PC via the E-MU's USB port, and then I connected the E-MU's DIN plugs to the 880 on DIN port 1 (in/out).

Then I connected the CZ-101 to DIN port 2 (in/out).

Created routing on the MRCC-880:
* MIDI IN 1 => MIDI OUT 2
* MIDI IN 2 => MIDI OUT 1

So in this scenario, the 880 is just using DIN ins and outs. 

Works perfectly with all macOS apps.  So this is a viable method of using the 880 with PC and apps accessing CZ-101 sysex.  Just not with the 880's USB port connected to PC - for some types of SysEx data transmission.

So again: the issue appears to be the 880's USB port transmission speed (and/or delay time, etc) from PC=>CZ and the CZ's inability to handle such, without adjusting "Transmit buffer speed" on an individual PC app.

Testing with at least four more legacy synths remains to be done.

(11-01-2022, 12:52 PM)oldgearguy Wrote: I have an 880.  I'll try to get some sysex testing in tonight or tomorrow evening.

Just so I can be clear -- what is the official Conductive Labs status for system exclusive transmission on both the 880 and the MRCC?

DIN <--> DIN, (both)
DIN <--> PC port. (both)
DIN <--> USB (MRCC)
USB <--> PC port (MRCC)

Thank you for any testing you are able to do.  I will need to test additional synths/modules with the 880...

Messages In This Thread
RE: MRCC 880 issue with patch data sysex not transmitting from PC to synth DIN input - by WireWrangler - 11-01-2022, 01:23 PM