Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
USB vs Midi Din
Lightbulb 
Hi, brand new MRCC user and curious if there are any pros/cons connecting via USB vs Midi din (besides one USB cable vs 2 for midi in and out). Guess if I could also power the unit via the USB connection it would be a plus.

I have a few controllers and synths that have both so looking for guidance before I start rewiring everything.

Thanks
It's mostly down to convenience, I would say.  Devices with frequent FW updates might be left connected via USB to the computer, and use DIN for MIDI, for example.  But really, I haven't noticed any significant difference.  The button presses for USB routings are slightly more involved (barely) but if you use presets a lot then not even that matters.  For me, because so many of my devices have built in sequencers or other controller functions, if I can free up DIN inputs on the MRCC by using USB instead, that's convenient.
Also USB ports allow you to use 1 wire to have information go both directions, whereas with DIN if you need to go in and out, you need two cables. I see that as the main benefit.
Also USB 4 virtual cables, each with 16ch.
DIN is easier with Sysex though, as USB (Host) <> USB (device) currently doesn't work.
Thanks for the feedback!