Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sorry for rant
edit.

probably best to just totally bail tonight and watch Stranger Things, which in my mad quest to make music, i have sadly neglected this season.

i'm not sure what to do. ultimately it makes no difference to me whether my failure to get consistent results from my mrccs is user incompetence, a bad memory for keystrokes (probably amounts to the same thing), or inconsistent operation of the mrccs.

i mean - maybe these do save. Why on earth (there is probably a logical reason) does saving require the shift key PLUS the black button? I've been pressing the black button, and it moves to the activity screen. Why does it do anything at all if saving requires the shift key also?

i just can't spend hours troubleshooting this thing. I love these in concept, but sometimes it is just a royal pain.

If realizing i have been trying to save incorrectly for a long time corrects some of these issues going forward (i don't mind power cycling the things if i retain my routings), and my next few days work better, i will retract my negativity. I just want to make music, and i am encountering a variant of the 'less is more' paradox. i love what i have. in theory i have a great setup. but i'm at the point where a significant percentage of it is troubleshooting, trying to remember keystrokes, etc, etc.

i mean i can make fun of myself a bit - how smart can i be if, even knowing how to do it, after using these for months, it took me probably 2 hours to get a cross mrcc usb routing actually working, rebooting these over and over, losing settings because i wasn't saving correctly, etc, etc. The mrcc isn't my only device, and the more keystrokes there are, the harder it is for me to remember all of them across many devices. The more intuitive they are, the less that memory enters in.

edit - a rational person might say that the save button has 'shift' right above it. hah. just noticed that. tiny screen. hard to read. i have to squint to see that. this is one of the reasons that i've asked for some kind of computer interface for this. I just can't deal with these tiny screens.

getting back to my one question amongst this babble - why is the shift key required to save, if you're on the save setting already. Why not just pressing the black button? I'm terrible at remembering keystrokes - why not have them be the simplest possible and remove the memory part from the 'equation'?
So just replying to the part of this with the SHIFT + Black Button really quick while I read through, and will circle back once I get to the end:
The save combo is SHIFT + the black selection button between the up down selection button, it sounds like you're trying to use the encoder button, which seems like it would be the way, I know, however in this case try the other black button and it should work for you.

I think the shift is there so you don't accidentally bork your favorite save. Like needing two keys to launch a nuke or something. I promise if we didn't have it there would be a ton of complaints about borked saves!

I get a lot of feedback about this page and it's unintuitive UI, so maybe next time Steve is working on MRCC code I can talk it over with him and see if we can't add the encoder button functionality so that they both initiate the same behavior on this page. It's not doing anything else here when holding SHIFT, so maybe that'd work.

Also: the new season of Stranger Things is really great so you're in for a treat.
(07-19-2022, 08:51 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: I think the shift is there so you don't accidentally bork your favorite save. Like needing two keys to launch a nuke or something. I promise if we didn't have it there would be a ton of complaints about borked saves!

What 99,9 % of soft- and hardware does to avoid accidentially overwriting is a simple display message: "Are you sure?" Confirm. Done. No need for key combinations nobody can remember.
(08-27-2022, 08:29 AM)starfish Wrote:
(07-19-2022, 08:51 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: I think the shift is there so you don't accidentally bork your favorite save. Like needing two keys to launch a nuke or something. I promise if we didn't have it there would be a ton of complaints about borked saves!

What 99,9 % of soft- and hardware does to avoid accidentially overwriting is a simple display message: "Are you sure?" Confirm. Done. No need for key combinations nobody can remember.

It's not only just about  remembering the key combination, overwriting something that potentially took a long time to develop and probably can't be recovered needs enough friction to make the user think. A key combination is not enough, explicit confirmation, and a success/cancel message is the way to go.
I've added the request to our tracker. I'll see what I can do to address the issue. Thanks for the feedback you all make good points.
(10-14-2022, 01:24 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: I've added the request to our tracker. I'll see what I can do to address the issue. Thanks for the feedback you all make good points.
Jesse, I know this is for the MRCC but I have same problem on NDLR. Is there way just to disable the "turning part" of the knob while saving?  Out of 10 times using ANY saving function I do mess 4-5 savings by accidentally turning the knob while saving. I did manage to mess a lot of cool settings this way while saving pattern, song, and sometimes global settings (only 8 positions for whole 270 degrees) by overwriting neighboring slot. To more technically inclined I suppose there is "Interrupt routine" on tensy activated when ANY of the knobs is turned ( I see a little light inside of NDLR when I turn ANY knob) thus forcing tensy to take care of turn before taking care of click Smile
Thanks for the feedback, I see where that could get frustrating. I will talk with Steve about the possibility and we can see what he thinks, but I would hate to make any promises. I put a lot of effort into getting the above mentioned change added to the MRCC and the result wasn't what I was expecting. Either way, thanks for the suggestion and I'll let you know if it gets the green light.