Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NDLR Cntl and KB Trans
I really don´t understand how these settings work!

In another Thread someone explained it with a Arturia Keystep: Both (NDLR Cntl and KB Trans) set on the same Midi Ch and you can switch your synths to every scale you like but the NDLR will change its chords on the white keys of C major. That is how I understand it, but it does not work: If I put both to 16 I can´t change any chord via my keyboard, If I put NDLR Cntl to 15 and KB Trans to 16, I can change NDLR chords with my keyboard on CH 15.

In the above thread there was a link to YT video that should clear it up - it was no help, just a pretty NDLR session on a Keystep and a Blofeld. A tutorial video would help a lot !!

Another thing is the completely undocumented feature under SHIFT MENU ENC 2: Rotation Algorithm, it was asked for help in another thread a while ago and nothing happened. Users seem still trying to sort it out but are left in a foggy forest. (The KB Trans MIDI CH is mentioned on that menu point as well by the way)

The NDLR beta firmware 1.1.079 is meanwhile 3 years old and still a beta, this tells a lot I think, are you guys only working on the MRCC any more? (..or on new forum skins ;-)

I had great hardware support a while ago and I think the NDLR is still an awesome device, but I am a bit disappointed.

I won´t ask for features or improvements any longer, but: A VIDEO ABOUT NDLR Cntl and KB Trans WOULD REALLY BE APPRECIATED !
Hey, let's see if I can help explain the KB transpose and NDLR CTRL channels for you. First off I feel like the term transpose may be part of the difficulty understanding it's function, what it does should really be called pitch quantizing. When receiving MIDI note information on the KB Transpose channel, the NDLR takes the white notes and transposes them the the notes of the current Key and Scale, such that the C note is now the I degree, and the D is whatever note is the II degree, etc.

I would say that the advice to make this channel the same as the NDLR CTRL channel is bad advice. One of the functions will not work, I think. Best to keep these on 2 different channels.

NDLR CTRL channel allows you to select the Chord Degree using the white keys, (and Chord Type with the black keys in some settings,) with C being Chord Degree I and D being Chord Degree II, etc. this allows for the NDLR to be played by keyboard, or perhaps more interestingly, to be externally sequenced.

I think I made and posted a document on the Rotator, I'll see if I can link it here for you. This one is an implementation of a funky little algorithmic harmonizing chord generator created by Robby Kilgore. Here's his site on the device:
https://robbykilgore.com/midi-rotator-1-1/
and here is his explanation of how the rotator came into being, as well as the idea behind it:
https://robbykilgore.com/harmonic-expansionism/
I'll report back once I track down my notes on the NDLR version.

The NDLR FW is listed under the beta section because when it's released there it is beta, but eventually becomes the current release fw version, although it's not usually announced as such. We just send it to the factory and have them put the new version on the devices as they're made, and link that version on the website.

We're obviously slowing down on updates to the NDLR as we haven't been able to produce them for well over a year, but also because there is literally no more device storage for any variables. The hardware has been wrestled into performing to the extent that it does by wishes and miracles! Any updates are essentially fixing what is broken these days. It's not just the MRCC, scout's honor. The forum skin was changed to make it more usable on mobile devices, the previous version presented some difficulties. Thankfully that was a largely painless process and didn't require many labor hours.

My notes on the Rotator:

(04-30-2021, 05:43 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: OK so I talked with Steve and got the lowdown on this Easter-egg. So as I mentioned before it works in conjunction with pattern number 40, and specifically the first 5 values of pattern 40 correspond to the Parallel interval and the 4 rotating intervals.
This means that for any note you play (I imagine on the transpose channel, but forgot to ask) it do the following:
1 Play that note,
2 Play the note that is the parallel interval up from that note
3 Play the note that is the next rotating interval from that note and
4 move the rotating note forward 1 space in the list.
So any note played elicits 3 separate notes out, 2 will always be the same interval apart, one will change interval per note played.

So what this is is basically a 1 note chord generator which is linked exclusively to the pattern data in Pattern 40.
Each note you play in outputs the following:
1. itself,
2. a parallel note (which is an interval set by the first note slot in Pattern 40, usually a fifth is a good choice here, which I think is selected by the value 5 when quantized to a scale, or 7 when in chromatic, but you may need to experiment to confirm this)
3. one of the 4 "rotating intervals". each time one is played it shifts it to the back of the line and the next value is queued up for playing on the next incoming note.
If you play a 3 note triad each of the notes played create their own chords (with each note outputting itself + it's parallel + one of the Rotating intervals,) making a complex chord that may or may not be Jazz incarnate.
Can someone explain the keyboad transpose function to me? 

For days I've been trying to figure out how this is supposed to work. This is very frustrating. Please in plain English. 

Maybe make a video about it?

Thank you.
Keyboard transpose is, in my opinion, one of the true stand out strengths of the NDLR. Quite simply, it allows you to play in C Maj and magically transform your notes into the key and mode that the NDLR is currently operating in. Thus, your keyboard playing will be in tune with whatever the NDLR motifs are doing.

To try and go even more simply, just play on the white keys with your root at C - and you'll never hit a wrong note! This is great news for non-keyboardists like myself.

And, odd that you should mention it, but I am currently working on a video on just this topic. IF it ever gets completed, I'll post a link.
(12-07-2022, 07:52 AM)Wolf_T Wrote: Can someone explain the keyboad transpose function to me? 

For days I've been trying to figure out how this is supposed to work. This is very frustrating. Please in plain English. 

Maybe make a video about it?

Thank you.

I'm also fuzzy on it and would appreciate that.
(12-07-2022, 01:34 PM)House de Kris Wrote: Keyboard transpose is, in my opinion, one of the true stand out strengths of the NDLR. Quite simply, it allows you to play in C Maj and magically transform your notes into the key and mode that the NDLR is currently operating in. Thus, your keyboard playing will be in tune with whatever the NDLR motifs are doing.

To try and go even more simply, just play on the white keys with your root at C - and you'll never hit a wrong note! This is great news for non-keyboardists like myself.

And, odd that you should mention it, but I am currently working on a video on just this topic. IF it ever gets completed, I'll post a link.

Lets hope this video is some day published ;-)
I sat down to make the video, but I ran into a couple bugs. I may figure out a workaround as the bug is stuck notes and doesn't affect it if I use a sound with no sustain. The video will still be usable once the bugs are sorted (I sent steve a message). The good news is I figured out the Rotator Algo.
OK, here is a demo of the Rotator:
https://youtu.be/KnpGEuoOjGA
Oh dang I made the wrong video. You just wanted a video on the Keyboard transpose? OK I'll whip one up tomorrow.
Here is a video for the keyboard transpose:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN43G9Yh3o0