Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Slow Learner but determined
I have tried for a week or two to learn how to route midi signals to their instrument destinations and to my DAW for separate midi track data. I have read the manual many times and once I finally set it up it all seemed quite simple. I will say it isn't exactly intuitive but once you get the idea of virtual ports then it really hits home.

My setup includes the NDLR, a bunch of hardware synths and Cubase on an iMac. My intent was to route the four parts from the NDLR to the instruments and to separate track in Cubase for real time recording and later playback (if needed). I like this strategy for a number of reasons - mostly though in case of a later reworking of the music idea with different voices or in case of recording errors with levels etc..

It worked great when I finally got a model of the virtual port idea in my head. Using the NDLR usb cable directly to the usb A and each "part" from the NDLR set up for usb 1 - 4 in matching with midi channels 1 - 4. So the Drone is output from the NDLR in midi channel 1 and correspondingly usb #1. The Motif-1 is midi channel 2 and usb #2, etc.. Then picking up the synth output channel for each usb port as well as PC port #9 - 12. Then setting each midi recording track in Cubase for the midi channel number and port from the MRCC was the next task. Once these and the audio channels for the synths were set up in Cubase I just hit record and played everything. Once finished I set up Cubase midi channels for return to the MRCC in the same virtual ports with each corresponding synth picked on the MRCC as well.

What kept giving me trouble was the idea of how to use the ports and midi channels as discrete routs to and from the NDLR and PC. I was picking up all midi channels on each of the four midi tracks in Cubase until I paired each port to the corresponding midi channel and it snapped into place. Sort of an epiphany once it happened. I doubt I'll forget the idea of the virtual port after that.

Anyway, regardless of preaching to the choir I am proud of myself for sticking with it long enough to make it happen. Here is a short 3 minute piece demonstrating the session.

Nice work (the music too)!  It does begin to seem fairly simple once you get the hang of it, but with a DAW the integration isn't particularly obvious at first.  I chronicled my own first struggles elsewhere on this forum.  Oh, and that's one killer studio you have there.  I'm not jealous, though.  Much.
(04-10-2022, 03:00 PM)Dark Waves Wrote: Nice work (the music too)!  It does begin to seem fairly simple once you get the hang of it, but with a DAW the integration isn't particularly obvious at first.  I chronicled my own first struggles elsewhere on this forum.  Oh, and that's one killer studio you have there.  I'm not jealous, though.  Much.

I'd like a link to the thread about your journey as well. I'm new here and have tried to read as much as I have time for. It's a real help to actually read the steps people take to solve issues. I have read many topics here that say"PM me" and the real solution never gets outlined. What's the use of a user forum if there aren't any full working solutions?

Thanks for the kind sentiments. The "studio" is a back room that I've been building up for a couple of decades. A slow amateur project. The NDLR and MRCC are a powerhouse of a duo. With a little imagination the NDLR can really add life to a compositional performance. It takes me places I wouldn't have thought of otherwise. The mark of a great instrument.
(04-10-2022, 04:46 PM)kindredlost Wrote:
(04-10-2022, 03:00 PM)Dark Waves Wrote: Nice work (the music too)!  It does begin to seem fairly simple once you get the hang of it, but with a DAW the integration isn't particularly obvious at first.  I chronicled my own first struggles elsewhere on this forum.  Oh, and that's one killer studio you have there.  I'm not jealous, though.  Much.

I'd like a link to the thread about your journey as well. I'm new here and have tried to read as much as I have time for. It's a real help to actually read the steps people take to solve issues. I have read many topics here that say"PM me" and the real solution never gets outlined. What's the use of a user forum if there aren't any full working solutions?

Thanks for the kind sentiments. The "studio" is a back room that I've been building up for a couple of decades. A slow amateur project. The NDLR and MRCC are a powerhouse of a duo. With a little imagination the NDLR can really add life to a compositional performance. It takes me places I wouldn't have thought of otherwise. The mark of a great instrument.

Well, decades or no, I'm sure that took a lot of planning and revising to get it to work well for you, and it's certainly unique, in a very cool way.  I don't have the NDLR (yet, I hope) but 2 MRCCs, which work nicely together.  If you really want the whole sad saga of my quasi-beginner's journey to getting the setup working, it's here: https://conductivelabs.com/forum/showthr...p?tid=1666
You could always skip to the end!  Anyway, the specifics relate to Studio One, but I imagine the concepts translate to other DAWs.
Nice work, and great studio Wink

I am also struggling to get connected to Cubase and have searched the forum for answers but cannot get it to work.

Have you managed to get it so that cubase tracks it (on 4 seperate midi tracks) at the right tempo (configured on the ndlr) ?