Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Relationship of global velocity settings to rhythm velocity
Hi everyone,

Diving in deeper on my NDLR I'm trying to understand how MIDI note velocities are generated for the motifs. I was driving my Deluge synths from the NDLR and the Deluge was clipping the output hard for motifs even though I set the global MIDI velocity to 50 in settings. When I looked at the output in MIDI Monitor I saw that the note velocity was still 127 on all MIDI notes from the NDLR. I had to hand edit each step in a rhythm to make the NDLR change the MIDI velocities (which was a bit painful given the sensitivity on the knobs).

Is there a relationship between global and per-rhythm note velocities? Does one take priority over the other? Do they multiply each other?

This is on the 1.1.029 beta firmware.

Thanks!
Mark
There are a number of ways to control velocity, but the key is setting the one you want with the Accent knob.

The Accent chooses which velocity to use for the notes in the Pattern.
The choices for Accent are:
Rhythm Velocity (built into the Rhythm)
Humanized Velocity (built-in Rhythm velocity +random variation)
Motif Velocity (fixed velocity set in settings menu 2), and 7 assorted velocity patterns that replace the Rhythm or Motif velocity.
(04-18-2019, 11:26 AM)Darryl Wrote: There are a number of ways to control velocity, but the key is setting the one you want with the Accent knob.

The Accent chooses which velocity to use for the notes in the Pattern.
The choices for Accent are:
Rhythm Velocity (built into the Rhythm)
Humanized Velocity (built-in Rhythm velocity +random variation)
Motif Velocity (fixed velocity set in settings menu 2), and 7 assorted velocity patterns that replace the Rhythm or Motif velocity.

Ah that makes sense now - thanks Daryl!