Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't send sysex to my computer
Hi there.

I'm trying to dump something via sysex. The donor is on input 1 and I have connected input 1 to PC output 1 of 12 and I have verified that the MRCC is seen as an interface on the computer running Linux Elementary OS Odin but nothing is coming through. I have done this successfully many times with other interfaces so I must have done something stupid, can anyone sort it out? I can see no sysex filters in the menus.

Thanks.
I will ask Steve about this for you, I know that there are at least some ports which do not support SysEx but it's been a little while since it came up and I forget the specifics.
Jesse
(11-28-2021, 10:53 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: I will ask Steve about this for you, I know that there are at least some ports which do not support SysEx but it's been a little while since it came up and I forget the specifics.
Jesse

Thanks, I've just been looking in to it a bit and I have confirmed that the sysex is emerging from the right port on the MRCC when trying to upload the sysex back to the unit so I captured the output sysex file in Sysex Librarian and it is only 16KB whereas the Original file is 445kB according to Elementary OS Odin, a Linux distro.
(11-29-2021, 09:44 AM)Stratblue Wrote:
(11-28-2021, 10:53 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: I will ask Steve about this for you, I know that there are at least some ports which do not support SysEx but it's been a little while since it came up and I forget the specifics.
Jesse

Thanks, I've just been looking in to it a bit and I have confirmed that the sysex is emerging from the right port on the MRCC when trying to upload the sysex back to the unit so I captured the output sysex file in Sysex Librarian and it is only 16KB whereas the Original file is 445kB according to Elementary OS Odin, a Linux distro.

Without knowing the actual devices, could it be a situation where the sending device needs handshaking/ack from the receiving unit to continue sending?  Maybe missing a route back?
So I asked Steve about this and he said he would do some testing today, but the behavior should match the Manual. I did some tests as well and couldn't get a DX7 patch to pass, but after looking at the manual it looks like the largest sysex buffer that can be sent is 256 bytes, so the 5k DX7 patches not working is expected behavior. If I go into the setup I can configure it to send 256 byte segments though, and it will pass. Steve was able to confirm after testing today that the only ports that do not pass sysex are ports 7-12, which is a known issue. All other ports will pass so long as the "chunks" are less than 256 bytes.

This doesn't sound like it solves the mystery if you're getting 16K files out of it already it sounds like it must already be an acceptable buffer size or no data would pass I'm guessing. Can you compare the data and see if it's just the first 16k of the sent file?
Jesse