Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MRCC Crashes trying to route Deluge to Behringer 2600 USB
I've applied output filters to only allow MIDI notes through to the Behringer 2600 on USBA.

As soon as I connect MIDI 4 In (where the Deluge is plugged in) to USBA (where the 2600 is plugged in) the MRCC freezes, requiring me to repower.  This is irrespective of whether the Deluge is playing or not.  Any idea what could be the issue?
The Puppeteer
Godlike Productions
It sounds like one of those devices isn't playing well with the USB port. I'm not sure if we've heard from any users who're using those particular pieces of gear with the MRCC yet, so I can't say which is causing the instability. Those USB host ports are specifically supposed to be host ports for MIDI Class compliant devices, and while they do mostly work with whatever, there are occasional incompatibilities, mostly it seems to be with devices that wear lots of hats (like they can show up as a mass storage device, as well as a MIDI device, etc.), so my money is on the Deluge. Does the 2600 require any device drivers when connected with the computer? It may be worth trying to connect one of the devices at a time via 5pin DIN to see which is creating the issue.
Jesse

I just asked Darryl and he said they had similar issues with the Neutron, and ended up getting it to work by turning off it's internal clock. You may give that a shot with the 2600 if it's an option.
Jesse
I’m surprised the MRCC exhibits this sort of failure mode. The teams I work with developing critical software systems implement circuit breaker patterns to prevent message producers from overwhelming components. The MRCC must be lacking this sort of protection if plugging in a misbehaving device causes it to become unresponsive.
The 2600 has a very basic MIDI spec. Pretty much note on and note off both for USB and MIDI, though firmware upgrades are done via USB as well. There's no MIDI clock for the 2600.

I got a new USB card for my audio computer, so I've wired them both directly to my computer for now, but I'll need to do some checking before I'm happy taking the MRCC out live. Currently I'm using the rock solid 8PortSE for MIDI routing and clock distribution, but the extra ports will be useful for live stuff in the future.
The Puppeteer
Godlike Productions