Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clock divider
I'd love to be able to multiply or divide the PPQ clock per MIDI port, or even per channel. Currently I can do this on my modular, but it would be nice to implement different clock speeds, locked to a master tempo that is either the onboard clock or an input. If there were options to divide or mult by odd numbers as well as even, then the functionality would be even better. 

Tongue
Good idea, some devices works different and I have same issue. It could be mod, which could be changer in real time (by external midi controller by example). Then we could change tempo of drum machine for example (from 1/16 to 1/8 or 1/4 etc).
I asked about this as well for the same reasons, but I don't think that's the way Steve wants to take it at the moment. There are some things out there that could get weird in that way, look at the ERM multiclock, for instance.
Jesse
I've been trying to avoid the ERM.
I might be able to get a MIDIPal/MIDIGal to do it, but I was hoping to use the MRCC for master clock...if I have multiple tempos going in and out, it's difficult to keep straight.

Many of the devices I have only use MIDI for clock info (Electronix MOFX for instance). I may have to build a MIDI breakout box that divides the clock signal, but if there's any other data (such as transport CC) then it would also get changed.
Mee tooo homie.

I'm not 100% sure about the logistics of the transport in such cases, but MIDI is pretty easy to get working on an Arduino/teensy so you could take a stab at it and see how it goes, just be careful or you may end up quitting your day job to make and sell the gear you come up with Wink

Jesse
(08-26-2021, 07:21 AM)Flounderguts Wrote: I've been trying to avoid the ERM.
I might be able to get a MIDIPal/MIDIGal to do it, but I was hoping to use the MRCC for master clock...if I have multiple tempos going in and out, it's difficult to keep straight.

Many of the devices I have only use MIDI for clock info (Electronix MOFX for instance). I may have to build a MIDI breakout box that divides the clock signal, but if there's any other data (such as transport CC) then it would also get changed.

I have an E-RM Multiclock and a pair of MRCCs.  IMHO, it's preferred to let each device shine and do what it does best.  The separate controls and extra parameters and start/stop buttons right on the front panel (plus the BPM info, etc) of the E-RM make it very easy to send 4 different clock divisions out.  The MRCC routing and merging means I can merge an E-RM clock signal with a regular MIDI note/CC datastream very easily and not have to think twice about the setup.

Yes, if the MRCC clock had external sync and responded to MIDI start/stop/continue that would make some things easier.  However, the arpeggiators in the MRCC *do* sync to an external clock, so if you are using them, you can keep those in sync.