Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ACME-4 midi clock
Just got the MRCC, love it. 
Unfortunately I cannot get my midi clock, the SND ACME4, to work with it.
The way I use the ACME4 is that its 4 midi outputs are directly connected to my drummachine, sequencer, etc. 
Any midi data other than clock stuff I need to send to either of those devices I send to ACME4s USB port which has four virtual outputs corresponding with the midi outputs.
This worked fine with the iconnectivity audio4+ (which is otherwise pretty shite), but I was hoping to be able to ditch that and use the MRCC but I can't - probably because the MRCC only has one output for each USB host...

So, is there the possibility of adding virtual outputs on USB host connections? The Acme4 is pretty central to my setup and I would love to get this to work.

thanks!
or you could hook the devices all up to the MRCC and have the MRCC merge the SND clock signals and regular MIDI data.
So instead of Note data -> SND -> drum machine, try

Note Data -> MRCC
SND -> MRCC
MRCC -> drum machine
thanks, yes that is an alternative, however I'm a bit wary introducing jitter to the clock this way...
(08-10-2021, 06:52 AM)floris Wrote: thanks, yes that is an alternative, however I'm a bit wary introducing jitter to the clock this way...

Try it and see.  I'm running an E-RM Multiclock exactly as I described it and have had no problems.  The MRCC appears to be very robust handling large amounts of data quickly.

(of course, I'm usually working at 72 BPM with extreme amounts of reverb -- lol, so your results may be different than mine).
hm, I run out of DIN inputs that way so it's not a very solid alternative...

so, here's hoping that virtual outputs will be added to the USB host connections... Smile
(08-10-2021, 05:42 AM)floris Wrote: Just got the MRCC, love it. 
The way I use the ACME4 is that its 4 midi outputs are directly connected to my drummachine, sequencer, etc. 
Any midi data other than clock stuff I need to send to either of those devices I send to ACME4s USB port which has four virtual outputs corresponding with the midi outputs.
This worked fine with the iconnectivity audio4+ (which is otherwise pretty shite), but I was hoping to be able to ditch that and use the MRCC but I can't - probably because the MRCC only has one output for each USB host...

So, is there the possibility of adding virtual outputs on USB host connections? The Acme4 is pretty central to my setup and I would love to get this to work.

thanks!
Last time I discussed this with the team it didn't sound like something we had planned to implement, but I've already added a feature request for this so we will just have to wait and see how the wind blows. I know Darryl has at least one device that would benefit from more virtual ports out on the USB host ports. 
Jesse
USB is dissymmetric: one side is a host, the other side is a peripheral device. You can't make a peripheral device act as a host or vice versa. It is possible for a USB port to be able to act as either side; this is called USB on-the-go and is present on some mobile phones and tablets. The ports are physically device-type ports, not host-type ports. I've never seen a PC with a device port. This requires electronics on the controller, it isn't enough to make a cable that fits on both ends.

So no, you won't be able to make a PC into a USB device.

If you want to use a computer as a USB storage device, you can use a mobile phone or tablet with a USB connection instead of using a PC.
(08-16-2021, 12:09 PM)namarang Wrote: USB is dissymmetric: one side is a host, the other side is a peripheral device. You can't make a peripheral device act as a host or vice versa. It is possible for a USB port to be able to act as either side; this is called USB on-the-go and is present on some mobile phones and tablets. The ports are physically device-type ports, not host-type ports. I've never seen a PC with a device port. This requires electronics on the controller, it isn't enough to make a cable that fits on both ends.

So no, you won't be able to make a PC into a USB device.

If you want to use a computer as a USB storage device, you can use a mobile phone or tablet with a USB connection instead of using a PC.

(wrong thread maybe?)

don't really understand this, I'm not trying to make a pc into a usb device
(08-15-2021, 07:25 AM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote:
(08-10-2021, 05:42 AM)floris Wrote: Just got the MRCC, love it. 

thanks!
Last time I discussed this with the team it didn't sound like something we had planned to implement, but I've already added a feature request for this so we will just have to wait and see how the wind blows. I know Darryl has at least one device that would benefit from more virtual ports out on the USB host ports. 
Jesse

So, a little nudge to see wether this feature will be added in the future... Rolleyes Rolleyes Rolleyes
How's the wind blowing?
Wait Floris,
I think i misunderstood this. The MIDI device has 4 virtual ports out over usb? that's not usually a problem, unless for some reason the device is not compatible for some reason. We can take 4 inputs, but there is only 1 output over usb back to the device. if you connect the device and route the ports does any traffic appear on the routing page (should be green xs and os for notes, and red for clock. is anything like that appearing?

Also to route the virtual connections you would do something like this:
connect MIDI device via USB Host Port A,
then press the left hand button of the pair for Port A, which will light up the output ports 1-4 LEDs. While holding that button press the port number of the virtual port you wish to route (lets say 1 for now). This port will now be lit brighter than the other 3 to indicate it's been selected. Release the left hand Port A button and press the port you wish to send that MIDI data to (lets say it's going out to MIDI port 2, so we'll just press output 2's button and it should be lit blue).

Go ahead and try this for the other 3 virtual ports and then send MIDI data, it should show up on the activity page and the individual routing page for those routings.

Let me know what you get.

Jesse