Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Filtering specific MIDI channels?
I feel like there has to be a way to do this use case, but I'm having trouble figuring it out. In this particular case we have a sequencer plugged into USB sending data to a synthesizer and a drum machine on the MIDI out ports. I've been reading the manual and trying out a bunch of different features, but nothing seems to match my use case here. 

The issue here is that the particular synthesizer involved has no ability to set its MIDI in channel, so it's also playing notes for the drum machine data. The filtering option though seems to be all or nothing - I can have it turn off all MIDI note data being sent to a particular output, but not just for a certain channel. Is there some sort of setting I'm missing here where I can have an output only respond to a certain channel? Thankfully most gear has the ability to set an input channel, and I have some possible workarounds external to the MRCC, but wanted to put this use case out into the world in case anyone else has run into it and knows how to handle it.
I would use the Modifier for Channel map feature (page 28) to set up a channel map with the sequencer channel mapping to the synth channel and exclusive set to Y.
Then I'd use the Routing screen (page 24, with the Modifiers discussed on page 26) and insert that Modifier into the route from the sequencer to the synth.
The newer versions of the firmware have a mod called C-P1 that only lets through activity on the channel of that routing associated with the Output Port number of the routing it's assigned to, so if it's on Port 10 it will block all data not on Channel 10 of that routing. You can use this as a quick, no-variables to set up way to pass MIDI on just one channel while blocking the rest. There isn't a Mod Page for this, it just shows up on the routing page when you scroll past Transpose.

Jesse