Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Half of the labels disappeared
Last night I finished adding the last couple of labels, saved them, then scrolled through the list, but midway through the alphabet (sometimes MAC, sometimes Mixer) all following slots were blank: no user created, no factory ones.  The longer I scrolled clockwise, the longer it would take to return to visible entries, so it seems there were just blank slots there.  Power cycling the unit a few times did not resolve the disappearance of the missing items, which included a bunch I had made the previous day.  However, ones in the first half of the alphabet, both custom and factory, are still there.  OS is 1.1.020.
Oh that sucks, sorry about that. I wonder if they are actually gone or if they just don't show up on screen... Can you attempt to assign the first label that appears blank to a routing and see if it lets you and whether or not it shows up on the routing? My guess is no, but it would be nice to know this either way for the bug report.
Jesse
Did any of your labels have any special characters in them or spacing or start with a symbol or any of a host of possible things that might trip up the OS?
OK, I've played with it some more, and a couple of things are puzzling.

In answer to the first question, assigning the 'blank' labels does, in fact, assign a blank label.  I'm noticing when I move slots, the preview shows whatever the last label where I left off on any prior port; it's not assigned yet, just the list is placed in that position, and scrolling starts from that point.  This follows also for the blank labels, so if I assign the fourth blank spot from where the list leaves off (currently at "Mixer" but the on the prior boot up "MAC" was the end) and then go to another slot, and scroll the list back, it will be 4 clicks of the wheel when the last visible label appears.  I hope that's clear, it almost doesn't make sense to me!

To the second question from oldgearguy, I did add some spaces in several label names, not at the beginning.  Some started with a number, and some contained hyphens (as do some factory labels) and some a period.  I did try to enter a pound sign, but it didn't take, so it wasn't used.  Going through the list I've discovered one label that I don't recall seeing before, "ghij" all lower case, and I'm fairly certain I didn't make it; even if I had typed it I wouldn't have saved it.  In any case, it's only been two days since getting a keyboard that worked, and I don't think my memory is THAT faulty, but who knows?

Current status is that the available (visible) labels end at the same place in both the Assign Labels & Edit Labels menus, before continuing with the blank entries.

So the other thing that's puzzling, the behavior I mentioned where a slot will 'preview' a label of whichever label was last held on a previous slot, this is sometimes even happening to slots that I've already assigned to something else if I select the slot with the button below, but if I then turn the encoder back and forth, any slots it selects will have the assigned label showing, and if I then go back to selecting with buttons it will also display the assigned label.  I haven't worked out exactly which permutations of actions consistently cause this behavior, but it has been doing this sort of thing multiple times before and after a power cycle.  I can see where picking up in the list where you leave off is OK for unassigned slots, but it would seem that an assigned slot should be showing only what has been saved, except if you deliberately scroll to other labels.

Hope that's all understandable, and thanks for your help.  As I mentioned, my unit is on the 1.1.020 OS.  I don't believe the newer version addressed this part of the system, but I'm willing to try if you think it could make a difference.  If anyone else is experiencing something similar we could compare whether one unit is updated more than the other.
It may be that there is a corrupted element somewhere and doing a factory reset may be required to prevent this from continuing. I would recommend doing factory reset, then update and factory reset one more time once that's been done. To do the reset, just press and hold the Green button above the screen during a power cycle. The screen will say that when it's been done and you can let go at that point and let it continue to boot.
Hopefully doing these steps should prevent further issues of this type, but if they persist email me at support@conductivelabs.com and we'll get out the big guns (actually I don't know what that would be, but we can take some further action at that point regardless).
Thanks,
Jesse Johannesen
Thanks, Jesse.

Going through the steps in stages to note any changes for future reference.

Firing up just now, labels went from "none," then "Ambient" and on through all the factory and custom labels to "MAC," and then blanks, with the oddball "ghij" in there, and missing the second half of the alphabet.

After doing a reset boot, all the custom labels and other presets are gone; 39 labels (if my count is right) now go from "none" to "Tablet" and include one that is just the letter "p."  I didn't memorize all previously available stock entries, but one that had been there that I recall, "PortLabels," is now absent.  I was able to delete the "p," which ability I believe had been an option on the previously seen "PortLabels" entry as well.

Another reset had similar results, except "PortLabels" is now back instead of the lonely "p" letter.  Next I have added 3 user labels, rebooted, and so far so good, no blanks, all entries that were there before seem to have persisted, I count 42 entries.  Then added a few more, some with hyphens and some with spaces, rebooted, and all appears normal.

So it appears resolved.  I'll take a break and resume checking tomorrow and do the OS update as well.  Thanks a lot.
Follow up: Custom labels were retained when I booted up today.  Went ahead with the OS update to 1.1.025, and still looks good.  Haven't done another reset yet, but will later on.
Update: still having this problem.

So I loaded the latest OS, 1.1.030, and did another reset boot as recommended above, checked and found all the stock labels, then began adding my custom ones.  Did a few, checked the list, which looked OK, and proceeded to complete my entries, which numbered around 50.  Then scrolling back through the list I found just a few in the beginning of the alphabet (not more than a handful of letters) before getting to the same 'blanks' as previously.  Tried another reset, list looked good, added a few entries, checked again, still OK, added a bunch more, though not quite as many as the previous round, but still 40 or more, and same thing, blanks start after my entry for "Filter Factory."  Just to see what would happen, I then added a couple more entries, both later in the alphabet and in the first few letters, and it appears the last visible entry remains the same before the blanks commence, while the newest entries in the As, Bs and Cs are showing up fine, and don't appear to have displaced any existing ones that were still visible right before.
The same behavior is happening on my second MRCC.  Before doing any other setup on the new router, I updated to the current OS.  Today I began adding labels, periodically checking the list, and most of the way it was fine.  After adding the last several labels, though, the list displays up through "NDLR" and then has blank fields following.
OK good to know, I'll update the bug report and see if we can figure out what's up, for now save yourself a headache and stop adding labels while you still retain some semblance of sanity. That sounds absolutely maddening. Can you email me at support@conductivelabs.com with a quick mention of the issue (a word or two just so I know who it is), I may reach out to you with a test FW once we think we have a solution.
Thanks.
Jesse

I wonder if it's a bad sd card? There is a microSD card slot under the left end cap of the device. You'd need to remover the four machine screws holding it on to access the card, but it may be worth a shot to see if replacing the SD card solves the issue. I think you'd have to green button reset the device once you toss the new one in. I imagine just based on the fact that it's all labels after a certain point that are discarded, that this is a software bug and not a corrupt sd card, but if you feel like testing it out, it's a possibility that it may be the issue. \
Jesse