Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beatstep sync
Just received my MRCC yesterday. So far, so great!
I'm trying to connect my Beatstep (non-Pro) via USB in hopes that it can be synced to other gear as the Beatstep only has MIDI Out.
As stated in the Quick Start Guide, the port lights amber and the MRCC needs to be power cycled as the Beatstep is drawing too much power.
I thought that a USB MIDI hub would solve the problem, as it could power the Beatstep and allow MIDI to pass through, but I've read elsewhere in the forum that presently MIDI hubs will not work.
Can anyone suggest a way to power the Beatstep externally while simultaneously allowing it's MIDI to pass back and forth to the MRCC via USB?
Thanks in advance!
Arturia supplies a USB Y dongle that allows for USB power and data to be connected separately. You may want to reach out to them and see if they can sell you one, or look into getting one from a 3rd party distributor. I'll see if I can find one real quick. brb.
Jesse

(07-29-2021, 12:00 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: Arturia supplies a USB Y dongle that allows for USB power and data to be connected separately. You may want to reach out to them and see if they can sell you one, or look into getting one from a 3rd party distributor. I'll see if I can find one real quick. brb.
Jesse
After taking a look I see the original Beatstep uses MINIUSB so maybe this cable could work?

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-USB2...B003WV5DMO
(07-29-2021, 12:00 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: Arturia supplies a USB Y dongle that allows for USB power and data to be connected separately. You may want to reach out to them and see if they can sell you one, or look into getting one from a 3rd party distributor. I'll see if I can find one real quick. brb.
Jesse

Jesse
After taking a look I see the original Beatstep uses MINIUSB so maybe this cable could work?

Thanks Jesse! Ordering one now... it's worth a shot.
Jesse

Jesse

Hey Jesse. Unfortunately the USB Y-cable didn't do the trick. It powers the Beatstep via one of the jacks, but as soon as I plug the other into the MRCC, the MRCC freezes and needs a power cycle.

As a test, I plugged my Keystep in via USB and it too locks up the MRCC, both with and without the Y-cable.

I'm wondering if anyone else has has issues with their Keystep (or Beatstep) via USB.

Thanks!

Jesse

Jesse

Also, here's something curious: There is a flashing light inside the MRCC that is visible through the PC port and very slightly through the USB D port light. Is this expected behaviour?
(08-10-2021, 04:28 PM)Alanogue Wrote: Also, here's something curious: There is a flashing light inside the MRCC that is visible through the PC port and very slightly through the USB D port light. Is this expected behaviour?

According to the top of p. 21 of the current manual, it's normal for the light behind the PC port to show activity, and it's probably just spill-over you're seeing on the other one.
That light shows the TxRx activity of the Serial port of the MCU controlling the device. It holds no bearing on any of the MIDI communications on the MRCC. The NDLR has one too, and I'm constantly having to tell people it's not sparks shooting out of the machine (which is a perfectly viable fear, mind you, just not what is happening here).
Jesse
Sparks would be cool!
OK, sounds like Y dongle is a no go. I'll schedule a zoom meeting with you via email and we can talk it over there.
Jesse