Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NDLR Cntl and KB Trans
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but was using a beatstep pro to send a sequence into the NDLR through the KB transpose function. I can get the synth (volca keys) to respond to the correct key, but pressing the Chord buttons has no effect. 
Is there a possibility I have a setting wrong? 
Is this something the NDLR isn't designed to do?
Or is it something else?
(06-02-2023, 07:06 PM)shoottofill Wrote: Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but was using a beatstep pro to send a sequence into the NDLR through the KB transpose function. I can get the synth (volca keys) to respond to the correct key, but pressing the Chord buttons has no effect. 
Or is it something else?

You do not possibly have a setting wrong.
This is something the NDLR isn't designed to do.
It is nothing else.

The KB Trans only changes notes coming into the NDLR to the current Key and Mode the NDLR is set to on one specific MIDI channel. The Chord buttons only change the Degree of the Pad and perhaps the Drone and/or Motifs.

Going further, if the default channel assignments are used, the KB Trans is on CH16 while Motifs, Drone, and Pad are on CH1-4. Hence, no interaction. But, more importantly, Degree is separate from Mode and Key.

Confusing, I know. I was disappointed at first by the same thing, then I discovered the beauty of this arrangement.

Good luck!
(06-03-2023, 06:22 AM)House de Kris Wrote:
(06-02-2023, 07:06 PM)shoottofill Wrote: Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but was using a beatstep pro to send a sequence into the NDLR through the KB transpose function. I can get the synth (volca keys) to respond to the correct key, but pressing the Chord buttons has no effect. 
Or is it something else?

You do not possibly have a setting wrong.
This is something the NDLR isn't designed to do.
It is nothing else.

The KB Trans only changes notes coming into the NDLR to the current Key and Mode the NDLR is set to on one specific MIDI channel. The Chord buttons only change the Degree of the Pad and perhaps the Drone and/or Motifs.

Going further, if the default channel assignments are used, the KB Trans is on CH16 while Motifs, Drone, and Pad are on CH1-4. Hence, no interaction. But, more importantly, Degree is separate from Mode and Key.

Confusing, I know. I was disappointed at first by the same thing, then I discovered the beauty of this arrangement.

Good luck!

Bummer. but thanks for the confirmation!
Yeah as HdK mentioned the transpose channel is there sort of as a way to solo over the other parts, so it's intended to be on a separate channel from those (but that isn't actually a requirement, I believe you can send on the same channel as one of the other parts if you like). The NDLR Ctrl channel can be used to externally sequence the Chord Degree changes, have you tried sending your sequencer to that channel yet?
(06-04-2023, 10:05 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: Yeah as HdK mentioned the transpose channel is there sort of as a way to solo over the other parts, so it's intended to be on a separate channel from those (but that isn't actually a requirement, I believe you can send on the same channel as one of the other parts if you like). The NDLR Ctrl channel can be used to externally sequence the Chord Degree changes, have you tried sending your sequencer to that channel yet?

I haven't. Are you referring to having an external sequencer change the chord changes?
That isn't something I have tried yet (but plan to). I was more interested in running an external sequencer through and having the NDLR do chord changes to it's output.