Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NDLR Mute Mode
This feature would make me purchase an MRCC immediately (or at least as immediately as I could since I didn't get in on the campaign):

A mode that allowed me to control enabling and disabling the blocking of NoteOn messages for a given port and MIDI channel. 

Unfortunately (in my opinion), toggling the various track enables of the NDLR causes them to go out of sync. I want them to stay in sync and just be able to selectively mute and unmute the parts as they play. I envision a capability where I can plug in a MIDI device like an old ART X15 or similar into the MRCC and I can assign a pedal (or more specifically a certain NoteOn/NoteOff event so that it could be sequenced) to control one of the MRCC's other MIDI ports (at the most basic level) and one of its channels (ideally) which would allow me to toggle whether or not NoteOn messages go through (everything else would).

That way I could turn on and off the NDLR parts without them losing sync, which I realize some view as a feature but which makes its use live problematic for non-ambient styles.
I will have a look at the midi cc implementation again, but I think the only way to block just the note messages that I can think of off the top of my head would require setting up 16 save slots with the 16 possible various configurations of on and off channels, so that
0 = all off (0000) <- binary representation
1 = 4 on 1-3 off (0001)
2 = 3 on 1,2 and 4 off (0010)
3 = 3 and 4 on, 1 and 2 off (0011)
15=all on (1111)

if you made saved states for each configuration, then you should be able to send a program change to the control channel and switch to that saved configuration on the fly. It would require a programmable midi controller with 16 pads, and clearly this is a pretty clunky work around.
It might be possible to set up some kind of macro controller type thing which has 4 buttons and sends the MIDI pc message to load the save associated with the current binary representation that the on off state of the buttons, but that is for sure outside of my skillset.

I know that the easiest way, (and the way I see Darryl recommend frequently), to keep things in time while removing a part from the performance would be to use a mixer and bring the audio in and out. Then nothing goes out of time and you don't have to buy a $400 router and potentially a MIDI controller.

If you didn't require any MIDI to get through it would be a simple matter of unrouting the connection which is as simple as pressing a single button, but then you would need all 4 parts on separate port outputs.

I'll look into this further and see if Steve can think of any other ways to approach it.

Cheers,
Jesse
I wouldn't need any of this if the part selectors were simply mutes instead of stops, which is a serious design flaw that should be corrected in the NDLR firmware but for some reason won't be.