Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wider range of LED brightness control / sleep state
Lightbulb 
Hi there, I just received the mrcc today and overall really happy about it, but noticed quickly that the leds are super bright and the device doesn't go into a sleep state. 
Even on the dimmest setting, I've found the leds to be visually distracting and somewhat unpleasant, as a light-sensitive person. Though obviously not dire, it would be helpful if the range of the brightness could be increased to include dimmer levels. It would also be nice if it also went to sleep after some user-defined period of inactivity, only showing one LED dimly or something like that.

Thanks for all your work making this, super excited to get everything hooked up and configured!
Hey glad to hear it's been a good start! I noticed the LED brightness myself. After talking with the boss it turns out that the RGB colors sort of stop working correctly if they go any lower so unfortunately that's as low as they get. As for the light show, you can disable it by pressing and holding [shift]+ the little Y guy button on the other side of the encoder from shift. Then it will just show the routings for the currently selected input port. That's what mine is set to and I find it totally plateable.
As for putting in the work, it's been our pleasure.
Jesse
I am having the same issue: While the OLED display brightness is at 9 or 10 (max), the LED brightness needs to be at 1 (its minimum setting) to be on par. Any higher value is just too bright for me - at least in a relatively dark studio. I am therefor a bit disappointed by the first reply. I understand that there are certain limits to the relative R, G an B brightness values. But why is it not possible to dim all the LEDs by reducing their PCM duty cycle overall?
I would certainly accept some compromises regarding their color rendition in order to get the overall brightness down!
I can certainly log this as a feature request and present the case to Steve and see if there is anything further to be done. Thanks for the suggestion.
Jesse
I received my MMRC today. Very happy. It is a great device.
But I have the same request for the LEDs. Even at 1 they are way too bright. I hope you can do something.
Clear matte nail polish will save the day.
Now ive got mine too and the LEDs are much too bright
---
bye, 
       Dietmar
(07-29-2021, 06:14 AM)Kent Wrote: Clear matte nail polish will save the day.

Thanks for the great idea, but I am a professional and do not have time to modify something like this in the studio. For now, I am getting by with basically wrapping it up with masking tape (1 layer is not enough), but it is far from ideal.  The brightness is simply way too bright.  I have lots of gear of all ages in here and these LEDs are by far the brightest - even at their minimal setting.  I know there was some concern over dimming them will lose their color brilliance and such, but that does not matter too much when you cannot look at them with your naked eye.  If turning them lower in brightness makes them lose their colors, there is a serious design issue as multicolor LEDS that are not this bright are in many instruments now.  For now, the tape is working, but to be honest, if nothing is able to be done in firmware to adjust this, it will leave my studio.  I do this for a living where I am in 10-12 hour sessions most days fo the week and cannot afford issues with my health and productivity over it.
At some point in time, the easiest solution might be to have a remote (PC/Mac) editor for the MRCC so you can bury it below the gear or in the back of a rack or something and manage it all from the computer.

For me in a fully lit setting, the LEDs are manageable. When I drop down the ambient lighting, they do seem a bit bright. However I also have a few modules in my 5U setup where the pinpoint LEDs are so bright I cannot read the panel text around them, so the problem is not necessarily unique to the MRCC.

Tip - if the MRCC LEDs bother you, never purchase a PolyEvolver synth.