Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No way to filter out channels?
I ran into a case where I was sending multiple MIDI channels from a sequencer and I wanted only a single channel to be sent to a particular destination.

I couldn't see a way to do that.  Was I missing something?

Basically - sending channels 1-16 out to a multi-timbral synth and to a monosynth and a drum synth.
I wanted to only send channels 1-8 to the multi-timbral synth and *only* channel 9 to the monosynth and *only* channel 10 to the drum synth.

I couldn't see a way to filter out entire MIDI channels.

Use case (for me) - sometimes I find it quicker to point a sequencer at a multimbral rack synth with a known mapping of sounds to MIDI channels during the initial fooling around/generating ideas stage.  Then at some point I'll want to swap in the 'real' synths for various parts or just try out a differnt type of synth for a sound.  Currently I would have to edit both the rack synth (to ignore a channel or channels or mute the sounds there and still have it receive the data and use up polyphony) and the sequencer to send the data to another synth on different channels and edit that new synth to listen to those channels and make another route on the MRCC.  

It would be much quicker if I had an output filter assigned to various synths that simply blocked all other incoming channels and allowed only a specific or set of specific channels through.
Then I would just create a new assignment on the MRCC and move on.
Unfortunately, MRCC doesn't have a channel matrix editor. Its a trade off for having it be configurable from the small screen. We will take a look at this scenario and see if there is something we can do to make it work.

In the meantime, we have a new firmware, 1.0.020 that adds a MOD called C-P1. It can take multiple incoming channels from an input, and will send only the channel that matches the Output port number. See the updated manual for details. I think you could also add a channel map MOD after the C-P1 MOD to change the channel its getting.
(06-22-2021, 06:29 PM)Darryl Wrote: Unfortunately, MRCC doesn't have a channel matrix editor. Its a trade off for having it be configurable from the small screen. We will take a look at this scenario and see if there is something we can do to make it work.

In the meantime, we have a new firmware, 1.0.020 that adds a MOD called C-P1. It can take multiple incoming channels from an input, and will send only the channel that matches the Output port number. See the updated manual for details. I think you could also add a channel map MOD after the C-P1 MOD to change the channel its getting.

I read and responded in top-down order.  lol
That channel/port spraying option will do 99% of what I envisioned, so that's a great solution.

thanks