Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NDLR + TR8S
Recently picked up an NDLR and it's very fun! I'm currently running a bunch of my synths through it via Mio XL. 

What I'm trying to figure out next is how would I sync my T8-8S with the NDLR to add some drums? Likely a rudimentary question so advanced apologies! I just want to have my synths going thought the NDLR and then add drums separate via TR-8S - likely just a start stop sync or something?

On NDLR I'm OUT A > MIDI IN on MIO XL currently

Cheers!
I don't have a Roland TR-8S, so I researched it on the web. Nice machine! Now I want one. Not gonna happen.

Anyway, it supports 5-pin DIN and USB, just as your mioXL does both. Plus the NDLR does both. There's dozens of ways to pull this off. But, since it appears you're using 5-pin DIN from your description, let's stick to that. Personally, that's the route I'd take. At any rate, you can make the NDLR the master or the slave, your choice.

First example, NDLR is master. Just take a MIDI out from the mioXL to MIDI In on the TR-8S. Ensure the NDLR is set to output Start/Stop in the Settings 1/3 page on the correct port. Somehow setup the TR -8S to receive external Start/Stop and clocks. Done. Press Play All on NDLR to get things started.

Second example, NDLR is slave. Route a path from the TR-8S 5-pin DIN to the NDLR MIDI-A In. Could be a single cable, or could go through the mioXL. Set the NDLR to receive external clocks on Settings 3/3. Ensure the TR-8S sends Start/Stop on its 5-pin DIN Out. Done. Press Play All on NDLR, then Play on TR-8S to start playing.

Have fun!

HdK
In addition to Kris’s excellent advice, be sure you route the midi connection between your devices using iConnectivity’s control software; Auracle or iConfig.
Kris, thank you soooooo very much for this - I was 100% overcomplicating things in my head (so often the case, lol) your advice was well thought out and made complete sense to me - thank you a million for taking the time to help and write it out, means a lot. Now....time to have fun Smile