Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PC - USB passthru
It appears that the MRCC blocks/drops/filters all non-MIDI communications between applications on a computer and USB-connected devices.

Is that accurate?

If so, is it possible to allow that type of communication in a future update?

I have a few devices that had specialized/dedicated applications running on the computer (Mac mini in this case) and to use them, I have to unplug the USB cable from the computer to the MRCC and re-route it to the hardware so the app can see the device and allow me to edit/load/save data to it.  While I'm doing this, some of the MRCC functionality is unavailable since I'm physically pulling cables.
I think you are correct. It only passes MIDI if I understand correctly. I will create a request ticket for this, but honestly I have absolutely no Idea what the scale of that job would be so I can't really even guess if this is likely. I'll let you know if I get any info.
Jesse
(04-07-2021, 07:59 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: I think you are correct. It only passes MIDI if I understand correctly. I will create a request ticket for this, but honestly I have absolutely no Idea what the scale of that job would be so I can't really even guess if this is likely. I'll let you know if I get any info.
Jesse

Right, thanks.  That's one reason I put it in Feature Request.  I code for a living and know that this could be a huge deal/restructure everything or a simple 'yeah we can do that'

One thought I had that might help is that if the 'pass everything through' option was done by using a port filter or port modifier.
If that mod/filter option was selected then no other processing would take place on that particular connection.

So I'd set up a route from USB 3 to PC (using internal channel 1) and PC to USB 3 (again on channel 1) and set both connection filters to 'passthru' to get direct access.
In theory if you could do that you could have a keyboard and mouse connected to the MRCC and the computer would see them properly.

Since they'd be a configuration option, I could use program change messages to the MRCC to switch to 'Edit tc m4000' or regular MIDI processing easily and not have to keep pulling cables.
(04-08-2021, 02:45 AM)oldgearguy Wrote:
(04-07-2021, 07:59 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote: I think you are correct. It only passes MIDI if I understand correctly. I will create a request ticket for this, but honestly I have absolutely no Idea what the scale of that job would be so I can't really even guess if this is likely. I'll let you know if I get any info.
Jesse

Right, thanks.  That's one reason I put it in Feature Request.  I code for a living and know that this could be a huge deal/restructure everything or a simple 'yeah we can do that'

One thought I had that might help is that if the 'pass everything through' option was done by using a port filter or port modifier.
If that mod/filter option was selected then no other processing would take place on that particular connection.

So I'd set up a route from USB 3 to PC (using internal channel 1) and PC to USB 3 (again on channel 1) and set both connection filters to 'passthru' to get direct access.
In theory if you could do that you could have a keyboard and mouse connected to the MRCC and the computer would see them properly.

Since they'd be a configuration option, I could use program change messages to the MRCC to switch to 'Edit tc m4000' or regular MIDI processing easily and not have to keep pulling cables.

I talked to Steve and he says something along the lines of: 
"Yeah it could be possible." and that he already made a way to send serial to usb over the connection, so that he can potentially control an Arduino Nano via USB MIDI (which NANO doesn't support, but it does serial over USB so he set this up to abuse that to get MIDI communication). 
I still feel a little clueless on the implementation but it sounds like it's not totally out of the question down the road. 

I like your idea for implementation as well. Seems like a good way to approach it. 

Jesse