Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Note values changing randomly when editing
Hi folks, really pleased to join the NDLR community ! Just a few words to introduce myself as it is my first post: My main job is sound engineer & mastering too but I also produce with others artists some progressive electronic music here in France with international artists. My configuration is hybrid , I won't speak of my peripherals here for mastering , out of subject , but about producing some old stuffs such as Akai S950 , Emu 3 , Roland MC303, Triton ProX with Moss extension, Oberheim OB12, Novation keyboard controller , Virus TI Snow ... The whole things are connected to Prism Orpheus & I work mainly in Pro Tools.
 As a happy owner of NDLR I discover each day new tricks Smile 

I got few questions , even after reading the manual 2.0 several times.

1- I would like to know why they are so many USB outputs & most of all why they are splitted with "ALL" & "1 to 4".

2- I've been unable to random the velocity of Motifs 1 & 2. No problem for affecting LFO , amount of randomness etc but when i record in Pro Tools the result on a midi track I just see many fixed values of velocity. So here is my second question : Is there a way to modulate randomly all the value of the Rythm editor once I found a nice motif? Note that I always put before beginning a session to put the velocity value in global menu to a decent middle value, around 64.

3- Could someone explain why when editing a motif (1 or 2) the note values suddenly change, even without a LFO modulation targetting it ? Those mysterious changing values appear only when I edit a motif. Once it's done , if I work in another window, say the rythm editor , there is no more values changes. Weird.

4 - About the rotator mode. Once I activated this in the menu I've been unabled to find a right configuration with USB keyboard to hear what I do (meaning rotating chords on a virtual instrument) while another midi channel send the transposing chords. I even experienced some crashes with Pro tools. That would mean a bad midi configuration. I would need to know the best way to configure in MIDI tracks how to use this wonderful rotator mode.

I am conscious it takes time to learn deeply this kind of machine. I already made some wonderful lines of motifs, chords with it. Really really beautiful piece of gear & so grateful to the team who created it.

Thanks for reading my post & helping me.
Arnold
Let me see what I can do to answer some of these for you Arnold.

1. We have multiple USB ports because when using standalone software synths (not in a DAW) each program requires it's own dedicated port, and can't share between programs. So if I wanted my Pad part to play on my FM7 softsynth and the Motif 2 to play on Native Instruments Kontakt, I need 2 USB MIDI ports to connect to them. Using a DAW prevents this need, so in most cases it makes the most sense to use one port.

2. I think the Humanize parameter on Settings page 2/3 does this. I just tested it out in Live and setting this value to a higher number results in more variability in the recorded MIDI notes of the output. You need to then select HMN VEL in the ACCENT selection of the Motif you are editing in the main screen (encoder 8, bottom right, arrow up). I don't remember whether or not this selection applies in addition to the velocities selected in the Rhythm menu, but I assume so. I may have a poke around and see, but either way this seems to be the thing you're looking for.

3. The Pattern editor is set up in such a way that you are able to "play in" notes to edit it. It's possible that this is what is happening? Is there any MIDI note data coming into the NDLR while these changes are happening?

4. I'm not sure what info specifically would help, however there are multiple youtube videos that discuss this mode, I will link the results of a google search here to help steer you in the right direction and if there's anything you are interested in that isn't covered here let me know and I'll do my best to help get you sorted out.

https://www.google.com/search?q=NDLR%20R...PEP7P2u0AM

Thank you for the kind words, we appreciate it!
Jesse
Jesse , sorry for the delay , I didn't receive any notifications before & discovered lately your post.
Thank you so much for your help ! Precious advices here ! Everything works perfect.
Glad to help!