Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FR: Window control of pattern / rhythm for Motifs
Hi all,
Playing around today and it occurred to me I frequently use a subset of a given pattern, but sometimes I want to change the playing melodic pattern or rhythm of a playing Motif. It would be nice to be able to shift these windows (imagine a 4 length pattern, then modulating it via an LFO)
Ehh, I don't think I quite pick up what you're putting down here, would you care to elaborate?
Jesse
Sure, I'll try to make sure to use NDLR lingo to be consistent.

Users can choose a pattern, and a pattern length, regardless of pattern length you always start at the first index in the pattern.

Users can also choose a rhythm, and a rhythm length, but regardless of rhythm length you always start at the first index in the rhythm.

I'm advocating for an offset into patterns and rhythms that's modulatable via an LFO.

Imagine your patterns was:
root + minor 3rd - fifth - octave

Currently with a pattern length of 3 you can play:
root + m3rd - fifth, but with an offset you could choose to do minor 3rd - fifth - octave

It's a bit odd admittedly because the offset is entirely dependent on the pattern length vs the max pattern length.

Although presumably if you added an offset you could treat it as a circular buffer in situations where the pattern length would wrap around.