Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
MMRC USB connectivity
I just discovered the MMRC - I've been waiting for a MIDI router as comprehensive as this for years!

I've just pre-ordered mine.

I have a quick question about USB client connectivity.

I see that each of the 4 USB client connectors provides access to 4 MIDI streams.

My question is: is it possible to connect 4 separate hardware MIDI devices to each USB client connector via the 'virtual MIDI cable' functionality? This would provide 16 USB MIDI connections.

Could I connect a 4-port USB MIDI hub to a USB client connector and then separately address each of the 4 ports via the single USB connector, and thus connect to 4 hardware MIDI devices which have DIN MIDI connectors?

Thanks, Mick
On this theme, I’d like to know if a 4 port class compliant usb midi interface could be plugged into one of these to provide more midi inputs? This is the only reason this unit won’t work for me currently, not enough midi inputs!
(03-10-2021, 01:39 PM)Patchen Wrote: On this theme, I’d like to know if a 4 port class compliant usb midi interface could be plugged into one of these to provide more midi inputs? This is the only reason this unit won’t work for me currently, not enough midi inputs!

The short answer is "it might!" we added that functionality to be able to offer support for the NDLR's 4 virtual wires, but we only know of one other device that has 4 virtual ports and one of our beta testers has it so we should find out soon how well that works. I do know that we chained an MRCC to one of the host ports and were able to route the 1st 4 ports from that without any issue so it should work. The question now is will the class compliant device work? Most of the stuff we've tried works, unless it has a software component that is required to be loaded ala the OP1. We're compiling a master list of gear we've tried and it should be available once it is a little more robust.

hope that helps,
Jesse
(03-10-2021, 11:28 AM)MickG Wrote: I just discovered the MMRC - I've been waiting for a MIDI router as comprehensive as this for years!

I've just pre-ordered mine.

I have a quick question about USB client connectivity.

I see that each of the 4 USB client connectors provides access to 4 MIDI streams.

My question is: is it possible to connect 4 separate hardware MIDI devices to each USB client connector via the 'virtual MIDI cable' functionality? This would provide 16 USB MIDI connections.

Could I connect a 4-port USB MIDI hub to a USB client connector and then separately address each of the 4 ports via the single USB connector, and thus connect to 4 hardware MIDI devices which have DIN MIDI connectors?

Thanks, Mick
Hey Mick, thanks for supporting the project!
I'm about 99% sure that I asked if this is possible when I first got my test unit, and if I remember correctly, the reason is that it is just a MIDI host and not a full fledged USB socket so to speak. It can't do all the things that a computer might if you plug in a device there. I will ask and verify that though and report back.
You may be able to use a MIDI device that has multiple MIDI virtual wires, however. This would be dependent on the device, and whether it "just works" or requires some drivers when plugged in, but as they say in the hot wheels commercials "some cars not for use with some sets". We are testing the device now and for the most part most MIDI class compliant devices do show up and work as expected, and if they have DIN MIDI, they work for sure via those ports.  Stay tuned for more info as we get a better picture of which devices have been successfully paired.

Jesse
Great, that’s good to hear! Thank you, I’ll stay tuned!
Thanks Jesse. It's good to get such a quick reply! I'll stay tuned for any info you can provide. 

Basically, i'm trying to hook up as many USB and DIN connected devices as I can.

One further question: I've ordered the ethernet extension box, which is described as providing a second set of DIN connectors which are hardwired to 5 of the DIN MIDI out sockets.

Does this mean that I might be able to connect two separate DIN synths to one single DIN output, one on the extension box and one on the front panel, but both reading the same MIDI data stream? 

Or would this create problems of signal loading/impedance mis-matching/MIDI channel confusion?

Mick
(03-11-2021, 09:43 AM)MickG Wrote: Thanks Jesse. It's good to get such a quick reply! I'll stay tuned for any info you can provide. 

Basically, i'm trying to hook up as many USB and DIN connected devices as I can.

One further question: I've ordered the ethernet extension box, which is described as providing a second set of DIN connectors which are hardwired to 5 of the DIN MIDI out sockets.

Does this mean that I might be able to connect two separate DIN synths to one single DIN output, one on the extension box and one on the front panel, but both reading the same MIDI data stream? 

Or would this create problems of signal loading/impedance mis-matching/MIDI channel confusion?

Mick
Currently, the Remote 7 acts like a MIDI Thru for the first 5 DIN outputs. So if you route something to Output 1, it also routes to Output 1 of the Remote 7. You can use both ports at once, just like if it were a MIDI thru, just put your synths on different channels. You can also use the 3.5MM jacks at the same time as Output 1 and 2 on the Remote 7. 

In a firmware update, we plan to make the 5 ports on Remote 7 independently routable. So you get 5 additional ports.

By the way, Remote 7 isn't Ethernet, but it uses an Ethernet cable. Its actually 5 MIDI outputs wired to the RJ45 socket.
(03-22-2021, 04:27 PM)Darryl Wrote:
(03-11-2021, 09:43 AM)MickG Wrote: Thanks Jesse. It's good to get such a quick reply! I'll stay tuned for any info you can provide. 

Mick
Currently, the Remote 7 acts like a MIDI Thru for the first 5 DIN outputs. So if you route something to Output 1, it also routes to Output 1 of the Remote 7. You can use both ports at once, just like if it were a MIDI thru, just put your synths on different channels. You can also use the 3.5MM jacks at the same time as Output 1 and 2 on the Remote 7. 

In a firmware update, we plan to make the 5 ports on Remote 7 independently routable. So you get 5 additional ports.

By the way, Remote 7 isn't Ethernet, but it uses an Ethernet cable. Its actually 5 MIDI outputs wired to the RJ45 socket.

Thanks Darryl - that's good to know, and very welcome news.
Do any of the USB I/O ports provide power?

I'm thinking specifically of needing to power my MIDI keyboards or my iPad.
(05-30-2021, 07:17 AM)quidmonkey Wrote: Do any of the USB I/O ports provide power?

I'm thinking specifically of needing to power my MIDI keyboards or my iPad.

The MRCC USB host ports provide USB 2.0 power. That's 500mA per port so it should power any USB 1.1 or 2.0 MIDI controllers. We've not seen any MIDI controllers that it won't power because none of them use anything but MIDI 1.1 or 2.0. Maybe more power hungry controllers are self powered.

On the other hand, it probably won't keep your iPad charged. The iPad will need to connect to the MRCC PC port (USB A to USB B). For my iPad I use a lightning dongle which has a USB A socket and a lightning pass-thru so I can connect the USB A to B cable to the MRCC PC port, and use the lighting port to charge it.