Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Midi Clock issue or just a display-thing?
Hi all.

I noticed some strange thing in my setup.

Normally i jam inside AUM (iOS auV3 Host) and send the MIDI clock from there to my NDLR - which is configured to receive clock via USB on Input 1 only. This works and is as stable as the host sends - no problem.
Sometimes i use Cubasis 2 on iOS which is not able to send the clock to a specific channel or output (at least i am not aware of it). It just has the option to send MIDI-clock on/off.

If i have the tempo set to 100 and send MIDI-clock to „on“ in Cubasis the NDLR shows a BPM of 400  Confused Which is not exactly my tempo of music  Big Grin But as we have 4 inputs on the NDLR it looks like the 100BPM is multiplied by the amount of inputs.

Even if i have checked multiple times that „USB, Port 1“ is specifically set inside the NDLR configuration to receive clock it is always happening and 100% reproducible.

Is that intended or did anyone else see this happening?

Actually while writing this it reminded me to test if the „output“ from the NDLR actually is at 4x speed...might try that later on...

Thanks for any info in advance.
Kind regards.

@Jesse: Not sure if this is the right place or if it should be placed in the MIDI category - feel free to move it over if you think so.
(02-16-2021, 11:54 PM)MrBlaschke Wrote: Hi all.

I noticed some strange thing in my setup.

Normally i jam inside AUM (iOS auV3 Host) and send the MIDI clock from there to my NDLR - which is configured to receive clock via USB on Input 1 only. This works and is as stable as the host sends - no problem.
Sometimes i use Cubasis 2 on iOS which is not able to send the clock to a specific channel or output (at least i am not aware of it). It just has the option to send MIDI-clock on/off.

If i have the tempo set to 100 and send MIDI-clock to „on“ in Cubasis the NDLR shows a BPM of 400  Confused Which is not exactly my tempo of music  Big Grin But as we have 4 inputs on the NDLR it looks like the 100BPM is multiplied by the amount of inputs.

Even if i have checked multiple times that „USB, Port 1“ is specifically set inside the NDLR configuration to receive clock it is always happening and 100% reproducible.

Is that intended or did anyone else see this happening?

Actually while writing this it reminded me to test if the „output“ from the NDLR actually is at 4x speed...might try that later on...

Thanks for any info in advance.
Kind regards.

@Jesse: Not sure if this is the right place or if it should be placed in the MIDI category - feel free to move it over if you think so.
This is the right spot. I think you may be onto something with the 4 ports thing, though I'm curious how the test went playing back audio. Was it x4 speed?
There is no real benefit to connecting via all 4 ports unless you need to. I would see if there is a setting in AUM for routing the MIDI out and see if it's sending over 4 ports. if so, just pick one and turn the others off.
If that isn't it, let me know and I'll see if I can make mine do the same thing. If I need to reproduce this, I'll need a list of how it's connected, do you think you can fill me in? Camera adapter, etc.?
Jesse
Hi Jesse.

Actually no. It plays at the correct speed.It seems to be only the display.
I know and understand that there is no benefit in connecting all 4 ports for that and there is NO PROBLEM in AUM as AUM can address each port separately and can only send a clock signal to one external device, at least without custom scripting technologies.
Like i mentioned the problem occurs with, for example, Cubasis 2 on iOS. You can only enable „Send clock“ but no possible setting to where or what ports. It just sends. So a test in AUM is not necessary at all as it works there. Smile

But i think there is more out there that just does not have the possibility to specifically send something like the clock to a dedicated channel/virtual input.

So this should possibly tracked down inside the NDLR to just accept 1 clock signal and not sum them up if there are “several”.

I can make screenshots and everything you want/need - but i think the problem is pretty straight forward. Wink

The signal chain/connections are:
iPad -> CameraConnectionKit -> USB Hub -> NDLR
The HUB is not affecting it in any way! Even a direct connection from the CCK -> NDLR does the same thing.

Thanks for investigating!
Thanks for the details on the signal chain, I'm beginning to getting a better picture. What is confusing to me is that you should only be able to listen to one port of Clock signal at a time, set in the clock source setting (2/3? not in front of my unit at the moment) so you would have to be monitoring USB 1 for instance rather than all 4 ports.
To clarify the BPM says x4 what the input is, and the NDLR output is playing back at normal speed?

I think this may just be a bug. I'll ask Steve if he has seen anything similar before, and let you know.
One other thing I think you may want to try is in the boot menu (hold [shift+menu] while powering up to access) there is a USB clock setting 1/1-4. I think this setting is just for outputs, but it may be worth a shot seeing if setting clock to 1 has any effect on our issue. to toggle that setting press the motif 2 play button, then press Panic to exit and continue loading.

More soon,
Jesse
I just saw this today syncing to USB clock. I had Ableton sending sync (invalidly) over all 4 ports and the displayed tempo was 4X what it was playing at.