Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Corrected/Updated MIDI implementation chart?
Does anyone have an updated or corrected MIDI implementation chart for the NDLR?  The one included in the manual seems to have a significant number of inaccuracies/omissions.  Here are some of the ones I've discovered:
  • CC 26 (chord degree) -- The manual chart says the range is 1-7, but it appears actually to be 0-6.  For example, sending a "1" results in a II chord, not a I chord.
  • CC 27 (chord type) -- The manual chart says the range is 1-7, but it also appears to be 0-6.  For example, sending a "1" results in a 7th chord, not a triad.  (Note -- The range being off by one does not seem to be a universal issue.  For CC 73 (key), the chart says the range is 1-12 and the range really seems to be 1-12, with a "1" resulting in a key of C.)
  • CC 30 (pad range) -- The manual provides a range of 1-100, but doesn't indicate that the number sent will not be equivalent to the range intended.  For example, sending a "4" results in a range of 1 not a range of 4.  After trial and error, I discovered that sending a "15" results in a range of 4.  So it appears there is a range of numbers that correspond to specific ranges, but finding the right message numbers takes time consuming trial and error.
  • CC 28 (pad position) -- Similar issue: the number sent is not equivalent to the position intended.  For example, sending a "66" does not result in a position of 66 but instead results in a position of 78.  I can find the right message to send after trial and error, but this is a time consuming process.
  • CC 90 (all start/stop) -- This CC number doesn't appear to work.  Sending a value on this CC number doesn't impact my device.  To get an all start/stop, I have to send individual CC start/stop messages to each of the 4 parts separately (via CC numbers 85, 86, 87, and 88).  While this is something of a workaround, it doesn't do the re-syncing of motifs that an all stop/start would do.
  • CC 120 (panic) -- CC 120 isn't included in the manual's MIDI implementation chart.  I only learned that it was a possibility when I received the Nov. 22 newsletter about the new firmware update.  The e-mail says that the CC is being changed from 120 to 123 -- but neither CC is included in either the v. 1.9 or 2.0 manuals.

I'm a wind synth player and primarily use the NDLR to be my accompanist.  I control the NDLR almost exclusively using foot MIDI controllers.  It works fairly well once I get the MIDI foot controllers set up, but the setup process is much more time consuming than I would like given the inaccuracies of the MIDI implementation charts.  And some features don't seem to work (CC 90) or aren't obvious (CC 120/123) through external MIDI controller.  The device would be much more usable for me with a more complete/accurate MIDI implementation guide.

Thanks in advance.
Thank you for the feedback, we'll have to take a look at this table and improve it. Funny these haven't been called out before? It's been like this for 6 years! ...embarrassing.

I don't know if Pad Range and Position can be precisely selected. These parameters, like many in The NDLR are variable and relative to what Key, Mode, Chord and Chord type are selected. We'll have to ask Steve to take a look and maybe just make sure the values are what we expect or update the table to better reflect what's happening.
I just tried CC90 via MIDI OX and it worked for me. A value of 0-62 stops, 63-127 plays.
I don't think The NDLR receives CC120 or 123 for panic, it just sends it when you press the Panic button.
(11-28-2023, 01:24 PM)Darryl Wrote: Thank you for the feedback, we'll have to take a look at this table and improve it. Funny these haven't been called out before? It's been like this for 6 years! ...embarrassing.

I don't know if Pad Range and Position can be precisely selected. These parameters, like many in The NDLR are variable and relative to what Key, Mode, Chord and Chord type are selected. We'll have to ask Steve to take a look and maybe just make sure the values are what we expect or update the table to better reflect what's happening.
I just tried CC90 via MIDI OX and it worked for me. A value of 0-62 stops, 63-127 plays.
I don't think The NDLR receives CC120 or 123 for panic, it just sends it when you press the Panic button.

Thanks for the quick response.  Turns out I'm the one who should be embarrassed.  Apparently I was running an old firmware.  The recent update fixed a lot of these issues.  CC 90 now works for me.  Pad Range and Position still behave the same.  It would be great if the table reflected what was actually happening.  It would save a lot of trial and error.

Also, it would be great if the NDLR could receive CC120 or 123 for panic.  I'm usually controlling the NDLR with MIDI foot controllers rather than the switches on the NDLR itself while my hands are playing another instrument.  The way I use it, pushing the Panic button on the device often isn't an easy option.

Much appreciated.