Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bug(?) - drone re-activated during Stop by mod matrix
Thumbs Up 
In Mod matrix slot 5: Mod 4 Uni/8beats set at 100% with target Drone On/Off, resultant mod range 0 to 1.  Elsewhere a 48 beat LFO modulates drone position (mod range 0-5), giving occasional boings all over the place - as intended.  Cool

However, if NDLR is stopped (All Stop button), the drone is reactivated by the Mod (including blue light on the main screen) and continues to sound, even if the unit is in stopped mode.  The position LFO no longer modulates the drone position though.

Anyone else seen this/can reproduce?  I can't see why this would be correct/expected behaviour - when NDLR is stopped, there should be no further activity/output - right?

I also note that if - while NDLR is playing - drone is paused manually, it will also be re-activated by the Mod, but in this case, the position modulation no longer functions (white display, no movement) until the drone is manually re-activated via the button - position modulation then resumes.  It's not clear to me that re-activation of the drone by Mod should only re-activate the triggering, and not the associated position modulation... Oddly, drone position modulation also resumes when another part is started (eg Motif 1).

Perhaps I've misunderstood the Mod Matrix?  Nice box, though - I'm having a lot of fun with it Smile

cheers,
auto

Edit: subscribe
(08-22-2020, 11:37 AM)autopoiesis Wrote: In Mod matrix slot 5: Mod 4 Uni/8beats set at 100% with target Drone On/Off, resultant mod range 0 to 1.  Elsewhere a 48 beat LFO modulates drone position (mod range 0-5), giving occasional boings all over the place - as intended.  Cool

However, if NDLR is stopped (All Stop button), the drone is reactivated by the Mod (including blue light on the main screen) and continues to sound, even if the unit is in stopped mode.  The position LFO no longer modulates the drone position though.

Anyone else seen this/can reproduce?  I can't see why this would be correct/expected behaviour - when NDLR is stopped, there should be no further activity/output - right?

I also note that if - while NDLR is playing - drone is paused manually, it will also be re-activated by the Mod, but in this case, the position modulation no longer functions (white display, no movement) until the drone is manually re-activated via the button - position modulation then resumes.  It's not clear to me that re-activation of the drone by Mod should only re-activate the triggering, and not the associated position modulation... Oddly, drone position modulation also resumes when another part is started (eg Motif 1).

Perhaps I've misunderstood the Mod Matrix?  Nice box, though - I'm having a lot of fun with it Smile

cheers,
auto

Edit: subscribe
Hi Auto,
I've seen the first situation before, with the mod matrix turning parts on and off even when stopped. This is due to the fact that the play/pause all button only pauses the 4 parts, this leaves the Mod Matrix running, so when the modulation of the part on/off goes High the part starts back up. To play/pause the Mod Matrix you need to press [SHIFT + Play/Pause All]. There is a visual indicator of this as well I believe, but I don't have my NDLR in hand at the moment to confirm (I believe a screen element turns red).
The second issue sounds like a bug. I will try to repro this and get it in the bug tracking list.
Thanks for being such a good detective, let me know if you find any other odd behavior.
Jesse
Thanks for the reply Jesse. I was wondering what the italicized 'MOD' meant, next to the start/stop.

Yes, the four parts' icons are ringed in red.  Makes sense now (first observation).

Cheers,
a
(08-23-2020, 01:19 PM)autopoiesis Wrote: Thanks for the reply Jesse. I was wondering what the italicized 'MOD' meant, next to the start/stop.

Yes, the four parts' icons are ringed in red.  Makes sense now (first observation).

Cheers,
a
Also, you can pause modulation to any individual part by hitting [SHIFT + <whichever part play/pause>] as well.
Re the second observation (Pad modulation is interrupted/restarted by manual trigger of other parts): I can confirm that this is repeatable.

Seems to be when many mods, inc on/off, are assigned to Pad part.  When stopping - say - Motif 1, the Pad mods freeze. The pad still plays, but mods to position, spread, etc no longer take effect, and the Pad bar is displayed, frozen, in white.  Specifically:

Mod#    SRC            AMT   TAR         RNG   VAL
1       LFO1UNI/6bts   35%   PAD POS     20-62 28
2       LFO2SIN/26sec  86%   PAD RNG     1-63  21
3       MOD4UNI/8bts   100%  PAD ON/OFF  0-1   0

Curiously, Mod3 pad on/off keeps turning the part on/off (heard, and witnessed by blue light), but pos&range are the ones that get stuck.  I have had similar on/off mods on drone but didn't notice the same issue - only Pad.  I haven't found a consistent way to re-activate the mods, either.  Pressing play/stop on the Motif that 'stopped' the Pad mod doesn't always 'unstick' it, but eventually does - seems to be timing related.  I'm on 1.1.070 BTW, and the other five mod slots are active too - plenty of modulation going on (perhaps too much?)...

Speaking of sticking: the pad screen fix in 1.1.070 (activate the pad screen when either of the pad buttons is pushed) seems somewhat over-zealous.  I've found the screen 'sticking' to the Pad display even after a Motif was selected by the 1/2 button, the active parameter (position, pattern, etc) is displayed in yellow and actually changing at the top of the screen, the rest of the screen resolutely sticks with the Pad parameters, and this also persists after clicking all the Motif buttons.  What (in one case just now) unstuck it was hitting the 1/2 motif button: this returned the screen to the motif view.

Apologies, but - as with the Pad/Mod thing - I've not had time to delve methodically or persistently, but it's certainly recurrent.

I'm having a lot of fun though - potential buyers shouldn't be discouraged.

BW,
auto
I'll take a look at this tomorrow and see if I can get it reproduced. Thanks again for the excellent sleuthing on this.
Jesse