Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
middle C
Hi,

The NDLR is a wonderful little box. 

Middle C (MIDI note number 60) is C5 in the NDLR? 

Why not C3 or C4 ?

Kind regards
Francois
What's in a name? Note 60 (or 3C in hex) is still note 60, no matter what you call it. I suppose it boils down to what do you want to call note 00? If you call note 00 C0, then note 60 would be C5. But, if you call note 00 C-2, then note 60 would be called C3. Either way, note 60, whether you call it C3 or C5, will sound the same.
I think it is important, since the manual (v1.9 dated 15Jul2020) says (Appendix A, p56):

C#3-D#4 notes: Black keys map to Chord Types: alt1 & alt2 ...

Trying to set up a foot pedal (SoftStep2) to trigger the chord degrees / types.
You bring up a good point. But, I view it as kinda relevant to each controller used. For example, my deluge calls Alt-1 C#2 and Alt-2 D#2. That's because it calls MIDI note 00 as C-2. If it were to call MIDI note 00 C-1, then Alt-1 would indeed be C#3. If it were to call MIDI note 00 as C0, then Alt-1 would be C#4 on the controller. Since there is no apparent standard to what to name the MIDI notes (what IS important in MIDI communications is numbers - not names), you have to be flexible in interpreting the names when using one machine to control another.
I do keep a general list ... 

Middle C (60) = C3, MIDI 0 = C-2
  Apple, Sylphyo, Kontakt, Yamaha, Ableton, Novation, MIDIView, Keith McMillan, Logic, Mainstage, Garageband, Senode, Arturia

Middle C (60) = C4, MIDI 0 = C-1
  ISO Standard, Korg, AUM, Roland, ReaTune, Faderfox, MIDIFlow, Cantabile (Setup/General), Akai MPD218, Native Instruments, MuseScore
  NDLR (based on the v1.9 NDLR User Manual. p56 "NoteOn C#3=alt1" and
              my testing 3/28/2023 that shows a NoteOn of MIDI 49 selects Alt-1)

[u]Middle C (60) = C5, MIDI 0 = C0[/u]
  Sonar

[u]Middle C (60) = C6, MIDI 0 = C1[/u]
  Fuge Machine (according to https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/30357...ote-naming)
Wow, nice list you've made there.
(08-21-2020, 08:26 AM)fgeorgy Wrote: Hi,

The NDLR is a wonderful little box. 

Middle C (MIDI note number 60) is C5 in the NDLR? 

Why not C3 or C4 ?

Kind regards
Francois

I'm looking at the NDLR output now in MIDI Monitor on Mac. With C Major selected as the Key and Scale, if I set Motif 1 to play 1 step with a value of 0, set the Pattern Note Type to 'Scale Fixed' and place the Motif Position in the center of the screen, the device shoots out a steady stream of MIDI note 60. In the MIDI Monitor software there is a selection in preferences to change the labeling to make that show up as C3 or C4, but a quick google search seems to indicate 60 is C3 usually. Where is it that you are finding your Middle C in the NDLR output? If you're looking at Motif output is it possible that the Motif note value is something that is transposing your C up 2 octaves?