Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Mod Dest -> Pattern Values
I was surprised to see that the actual pattern values are not a modulation destination.

If they were, the 16 steps in a pattern would not be limiting at all and a lot of cool algorithmic things could be done.

If the pattern values were a mod destination that the modulator added to/subtracted from and the mod amount was expressed in # of half steps, then you could easily do things like -

square wave set to a rate of 2 bars and mod amount of 12 would perform an octave transpose up and then down every 2 bars.   - or -
sawtooth with mod amount of 12 and a pattern consisting of a single step/note would result in a rising scale then resetting back to the base value.

Where it could get cool is if you used multiple LFOs, set them to different # of half steps and different rates, then a simple pattern would get mutated but it would still be a pattern and not completely random.

Or, you could have a pattern modify itself by using it as the modulator and as the target.

I'd be willing to sacrifice pattern number and pattern on/off to get the values as a destination.  I'd also be OK if the mod amount had to be a percentage if the max (100%) was a known quantity like 2 octaves or 4 octaves or something.