Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
LFO phase - pads
Hey, I'm new to the NDLR, but have spent quite a few hours with it already. But try as I might, I can't seem to figure out how to get the LFO to start in phase with the overall chord sequence. It just seems to freely run on its own, so I can't get a reliable result each time I reset the sequence.

Is this normal behavior? I  couldn't find any reference to this in the manual.

I thought maybe the 'Pad Qnt' needed to be set. I have an issue with 'Pad Qnt' because when I have it enabled, my pads late/out of sync with the rest. Turning off 'Pad Qnt' fixes that issue...
Anyone else have this issue? I feel like I'm missing something obvious here....Spent another hour or two with it last night.

A little more context: I'm using the NDLR as a slave to clock coming in from my Elektron Digitakt. Seems to work fine for most things. But I need to arm each voice on the NDLR just before each time I press play on the Digitakt. When I arm the NDLR, that is when the LFO's start moving, rather than starting when I actually hit play. Thus LFO is out of phase, even though it's tempo-synced.
(08-19-2020, 04:43 PM)sublimb Wrote: Anyone else have this issue? I feel like I'm missing something obvious here....Spent another hour or two with it last night.

A little more context: I'm using the NDLR as a slave to clock coming in from my Elektron Digitakt. Seems to work fine for most things. But I need to arm each voice on the NDLR just before each time I press play on the Digitakt. When I arm the NDLR, that is when the LFO's start moving, rather than starting when I actually hit play. Thus LFO is out of phase, even though it's tempo-synced.
Hi Sublimb I missed this post a few days ago but saw the followup. I think this is the normal behavior, but I will do a little research to see and get back to you. You might try setting up one of your patterns as an lfo shape and see if using that as the lfo shape has any impact on the output. It's worth a shot at any rate. I'll get back to you once I know more about the LFO behavior.
Jesse
I did briefly try the pattern-as-lfo approach and it still fails to reset upon playback. When I use patterns and chord progressions normally they reset as expected when I press 'arm'. The difference with LFO's is that they begin their movement as soon as I arm tracks, and not when I press play on my master midi device.
(08-21-2020, 03:30 PM)sublimb Wrote: I did briefly try the pattern-as-lfo approach and it still fails to reset upon playback. When I use patterns and chord progressions normally they reset as expected when I press 'arm'. The difference with LFO's is that they begin their movement as soon as I arm tracks, and not when I press play on my master midi device.
Ah I see, I'll add this as a bug sighting and see if there's anything to do about it.
Jesse
Has anyone been able to have the LFO modulate the pad range (or any other parameters) and actually have it be in sync (and in proper phase) with the tempo? This seems like a pretty common use case...just wondering if anyone else has the same issue that I do.
(08-21-2020, 09:28 PM)Jesse Johannesen Wrote:
(08-21-2020, 03:30 PM)sublimb Wrote: I did briefly try the pattern-as-lfo approach and it still fails to reset upon playback. When I use patterns and chord progressions normally they reset as expected when I press 'arm'. The difference with LFO's is that they begin their movement as soon as I arm tracks, and not when I press play on my master midi device.
Ah I see, I'll add this as a bug sighting and see if there's anything to do about it.
Jesse

This bug still exists and I really hope it will be fixed.....some time....
Has anyone found a way to get the LFO's to stay in phase upon each start of the sequence? For some reason it seems that none of the LFO's or mods reset themselves when I press play. I wish I could get the custom LFO's to be in sync AND in phase with the pattern. This would really be so much more powerful for my purposes if this simple feature was available.
I think that the LFOs that have a time based setting are free running while the ones with a beat based setting should reset with play pause all. Are you using a time based LFO?
Jesse
Yes. For example, LFO 1 BiPol - 12 beats - to control MOTIF 1 POSITION.

When I 'arm' Motif 1, the LFO immediately begins to cycle. This is before I have pressed play on my sequencer, so the sequence has not yet begun. Thus the LFO is never in the same phase, but in a different phase every time I press play on the sequencer. The Motif 1 sequence itself resets just fine, so I can get a reproducible melody. However if I add an LFO to control aspects of that melody, it is always different every time I press play.