Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Stochastic Generative Mode
Perhaps something like this feature already exists in a firmware I missed, but I don't remember seeing something like this:

The NDLR could benefit from being able to generate melodies in a way similar to the Eurorack module "Stochastic Inspiration Generator".
Here, you have twelve sliders, which have multiple functions. Primarily, they set the probability of a note occurring in the generated melody.
With further functions, you can set the predominantly played relative octave per note (from -2 to +2).

You additionally have potentiometers for the probability per note-duration, the global probability per octave, a "linearity" parameter that controls how likely the algorithm is to select adjacent notes (still weighted by the individual note-probability), a parameter each for the likelyhood of more ascending or descending steps, one for ratcheting probability, one for rest-probability (where first a note-duration is generated from the given probability-distrubtion, then a random binary note-or-rest value is generated from the set rest-probability), as well as "retroactive" loop controls, which capture the last 18 events and loops a selectable range of them.

Not all of these wonderful features would need to go into NDLR, though the main ones would be very lovely. I can imagine two modes where you either set the note-probabilities for absolute notes (where you'd have exactly twelve sliders/bars) or 5-12 for relative scale-degrees of pentatonic scales up to the chromatic scale.

The UI of the NDLR should be pretty well suited to implement such features - all the parts are there. Speaking as a software engineer, some of the algorithmic details here of course aren't trivial, but they're also not crazy complicated.

Would be an amazing added value IMO. I'm getting a lot out of the Stochastic Inspiration Generator in Eurorack - it's only disadvantage is the lack of easy transposition and modulation (you have to change all the sliders). NDLR could improve upon that with in-scale probabilities and its transposition/modulation capabilities.

I think this would make it one of the most formidable hardware generative sequencers on the market, if not *THE* most capable one. SIG would take that crown now because of its unparalleled fine-grained control over so many probabilistic parameters - were it not for the lack of in-scale transposition and simple modulation.

Thank you for this great little box I've enjoyed so much over the years!

Messages In This Thread
Stochastic Generative Mode - by Majickthise - 04-08-2023, 09:49 AM
RE: Stochastic Generative Mode - by House de Kris - 04-14-2023, 07:10 AM